rollystone

Moving to Boston, any good fly fishing?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'll be moving up to Boston from the gulf south for med school, and I'd like to keep on fly fishing as much as I can. Sadly I wont have my car along with me so I cant go out TOO far, but I've heard you can wade some areas of the harbor for solid stripers, but I'd be happy catching anything that swims really. I'll be moving up in July and want to use up as much of my time on the fly as possible before getting back into, you know, work. Thank you for any help. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

There's plenty of good fly fishing in Boston. What do you have for rods? Plenty of good spots for catching stripers near Boston that would accessible on public transport. Also there is some decent trout fishing that may work for you. Check out the mass.gov website for trout stocking locations. 

Edited by crowconor

12 hours ago, crowconor said:

There's plenty of good fly fishing in Boston. What do you have for rods? Plenty of good spots for catching stripers near Boston that would accessible on puic transport. Also there is some decent trout fishing that may work for you. Check out the mass.gov website for trout stocking locations. 

I’ve got a 9’ 6wt setup for trout and bass on a hydros SL reel and a 9’ 9wt with the same hydros reel that I use for saltwater, mostly big reds down here but it seems like that’s a good weight for stripers, I of course have all the other gear and luckily some felt bottom shoes for the rocky shores in mass. I’d have trouble getting to good trout water but it’s not out of the question. With med school I’d really have to make a trip out of it though with time constraints, seems like I’ll be doing a lot more saltwater. 

Almost all of the coast line north of Boston (20-30 miles+/-) is accessible via a commuter rail line (bicycles allowed) and there is a lot of good water east of that service line. Also Boston Harbor and adjacent Winthrop, MA.

Crow is spot on. Boston has lots of fly fishing opportunities. In addition to Stripers and trout, there are plenty of places to target black bass and other warm water species. There is a very healthy carp population in the city too.

Sounds like I’ll be acquainting myself with the harbor and some of the north coast come July for strippers, are there any access points that are recommended? I’m not asking for spots  but at least something where I can get to discovering quicker! Also are there any named places on the north coast of Boston worth looking up and figuring out how to travel to? 

Find a copy of "The Fly Fisherman's Guide to Boston Harbor"  by Jack Gartside.

It will take some work since it is out of print, although a revised edition is supposed to be released in "spring 2018" through his website.   The author himself is dead so who knows if or when this will happen.  While looking,  read what you can find by Gartside.   He was an eccentric character (and one who thought outside the box) who was widely recognized as one of the very best fly fisherman of his time ( I think he invented the gurgler fly).  His home base was Boston Harbor and no one I have heard of fished it as long, as successfully, and as thoroughly as Gartside.  

Edited by numbskull

12 mins ago, numbskull said:

Find a copy of "The Fly Fisherman's Guide to Boston Harbor"  by Jack Gartside.

It will take some work since it is out of print, although a revised edition is supposed to be released in "spring 2018" through his website.   The author himself is dead so who knows if or when this will happen.  While looking,  read what you can find by Gartside.   He was an eccentric character (and one who thought outside the box) who was widely recognized as one of the very best fly fisherman of his time ( I think he invented the gurgler fly).  His home base was Boston Harbor and no one I have heard of fished it as long, as successfully, and as thoroughly as Gartside.  

I’ve seen his book mentioned in my searches and haven’t been able to come across a copy yet, I’ll post on this forum and maybe someone will be willing to part with their copy. 

2 hours ago, rollystone said:

I’ve got a 9’ 6wt setup for trout and bass on a hydros SL reel and a 9’ 9wt with the same hydros reel that I use for saltwater, mostly big reds down here but it seems like that’s a good weight for stripers, I of course have all the other gear and luckily some felt bottom shoes for the rocky shores in mass. I’d have trouble getting to good trout water but it’s not out of the question. With med school I’d really have to make a trip out of it though with time constraints, seems like I’ll be doing a lot more saltwater. 

A 9ft 9wt with a hydros will be perfect most conditions for stipers. Check out google maps and look for some nice structure and spots that are accesible to you. I'm sure you will find fish. I think July will be a hard time to fish, but fishing at night will increase your liklihood of fish. 

9 mins ago, crowconor said:

A 9ft 9wt with a hydros will be perfect most conditions for stipers. Check out google maps and look for some nice structure and spots that are accesible to you. I'm sure you will find fish. I think July will be a hard time to fish, but fishing at night will increase your liklihood of fish. 

Awesome, I’ll do some searching for specific structures that stripers like to hang around and what the harbor/near coast has that’s accessible to me. Any fly advice? I’ve got some deceivers and clouser minnows, it looks like stripers are much more discerning than the reds down home which basically will bite anything that looks remotely alive haha.

I went out to Lovells and Peddocks Islands via Ferry and did well wading. They are part of the Boston Harbor Islands. Ferry leaves from Boston Wharf or Hingham.  Beautiful ride and scenery.  Absolutely the Gartside book.  Newburyport and Ipswich via train and bicycle. Lifetime worth of water.  Look up Cranes Beach. Take train in  late afternoon, ride out the drop dead gorgeous Argilla Road, fish all night, take train back  in the morning. I have a night parking permit, but I have to park outside the gates. Bikes get to go right to the dunes.

Edited by bloosfisher

38 mins ago, bloosfisher said:

I went out to Lovells and Peddocks Islands via Ferry and did well wading. They are part of the Boston Harbor Islands. Ferry leaves from Boston Wharf or Hingham.  Beautiful ride and scenery.  Absolutely the Gartside book.  Newburyport and Ipswich via train and bicycle. Lifetime worth of water.  Look up Cranes Beach. Take train in  late afternoon, ride out the drop dead gorgeous Argilla Road, fish all night, take train back  in the morning. I have a night parking permit, but I have to park outside the gates. Bikes get to go right to the dunes.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the advice and will try I check all these spots out before I’m stuck in a hospital for the foreseeable future. It looks like MGH is nearer the ferry than I live so that may make for some good after work trips. Once again I appreciate the help and hopefully can repay you for the advice in kind!

2 hours ago, rollystone said:

Awesome, I’ll do some searching for specific structures that stripers like to hang around and what the harbor/near coast has that’s accessible to me. Any fly advice? I’ve got some deceivers and clouser minnows, it looks like stripers are much more discerning than the reds down home which basically will bite anything that looks remotely alive haha.

Decievers and clousers will work. Personally, I love surf candies. They always seem to produce for me. Also welcome to Boston. Are you starting a residency, or medical school? 

5 mins ago, crowconor said:

Decievers and clousers will work. Personally, I love surf candies. They always seem to produce for me. Also welcome to Boston. Are you starting a residency, or medical school? 

Starting medical school, and I’ll try to grab a couple of the surf candies. We will see about residency but it looks like a ton of my classmates stay at MGH and other affiliated hospitals for residency. If the fishing’s good I may just stay for the long haul haha!

7 mins ago, rollystone said:

Starting medical school, and I’ll try to grab a couple of the surf candies. We will see about residency but it looks like a ton of my classmates stay at MGH and other affiliated hospitals for residency. If the fishing’s good I may just stay for the long haul haha!

Oh fantastic, good for you. Are you starting school at Harvard?