Wonleed

Pt. Lookout, Piney Point Catfish invasion

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Been fishing this area all my life.  I don't think I've ever caught a catfish here, let alone 19 in one night.  What the hell happened?!  Bad news all around.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's because of salinity. I went to pt. lookout right before the pier was opened on that weekend. I had to fish out of the Solomons instead. Ended up catching cooler full of HUGE catfish and gave them away.

Angler's Fishing Report says it too.

https://www.anglerssportcenter.com/chesapeake-bay-fishing-report-may-24th-2019/

Edited by Rangler

A lot of blue catfish, I’ve only caught a handful of stripers but they were dinks so far. I usually fish matapeake.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:38 AM, Wonleed said:

Been fishing this area all my life.  I don't think I've ever caught a catfish here, let alone 19 in one night.  What the hell happened?!  Bad news all around.

Don't worry about the small blues, they consume vegetation as their primary food source above everything else.

The blues have basically just found an unused and largely under inhabited area of the tidal water where their numbers have grown to fill the biomass void.

I can imagine this bothers the stripers much as a 10in to 15in blue cat is just a snack to your larger striper.

Next time just keep any blues under 30in for your table, they are tasty.

I caught my first catfish in a creek near Solomons a few days ago. Never got one before so it was weird but some friends told me that they’re in the creeks near the rivers but not too common.

AEE328A4-C09F-47D2-9604-842DE78BB9BD.jpeg