EricDice

Biting flies & gnats: Strategies?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, Sudsy said:

But whatever you do, do NOT get it on your plugs !!

Another story:

A bunch of years ago I waded across to Skeleton Island on the back side of the Hook. The only way to get there was to wade across at dead low tide. You were trapped for the full 12 hours until the tide was low enough to wade out again. We'd had a pretty steady bite out there one late summer / fall so it was worth it.

(It's not a spot burn since the entire island was erased by Sandy and no longer exists)

So the tide was low enough to wade out about an hour or so before dark. I got out there and immediately was into fish, thinking this was going to be a good night ! 

A hour or two later the wind shifted and the mosquitoes found me, clouds of the bastards, and they can be savage out on the Hook. 

I had a small spray can of 100% DEET (the stuff you can't get anymore)

And proceeded to miss my target, my arm, and sprayed it directly into my open plug bag (what idiot keeps their plug bag over their shoulder when spraying bug repellent?). That was it, not another bite, not even a touch. I scrubbed my plugs with sand and water over and over but nothing helped. 10 hours of calling myself an idiot until I could get off that damned island and away from the mosquitoes.

Now I avoid bug repellent to the maximum extent possible and bring a zip lock bag with Clorox Wipes to clean my hands in case it gets bad to the point where I crack and use the stuff.

Sudsy,

Listerine (original formula) :

mixed 50/50 w/water, or mix 50/50 w/Skin So Soft........... it works!

J:wag:n

After fighting the salt gnats this weekend backyard strawberry flies are like social butterflies,we would cover our kids with skin so soft and it worked fine, stopped when they took it off the market,I thought they classified it a mild carcinogen?we put family care off on the grandkids..

It's the years of the insects. Giant mosquito that sting through 2 layer of cloth. Gnat so small that they can get inside the net suit and bite you from the inside. Ticks crawling out on concrete parking lot 50 yards from any vegetation. I am going to renew my Netflix subscription instead. F this.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Backside of the Hook fluking yesterday. Got my arse bit off by the tiny gnats in the middle of the day under bright hot sun WTHell ??

That's an evening low light torture.

Edited by Sudsy

Long sleeved white performance shirt, long pants, a buff, and a hat.  That covers up most of my normally exposed skin and doesn’t make me sweat too much. (Not that much of a sweater in general though.) I also feel like the bugs have been much worse than normal, maybe it’s just been a while since swarms of tiny insects have attacked me...

5 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Long sleeved white performance shirt, long pants, a buff, and a hat.  That covers up most of my normally exposed skin and doesn’t make me sweat too much. (Not that much of a sweater in general though.) I also feel like the bugs have been much worse than normal, maybe it’s just been a while since swarms of tiny insects have attacked me...

You probably haven't met the mutant mosquito we have locally, they sting through your light jacket and shirt, yes, that's 2 layers. denim pants, no problem, drill right through.  You can feel the sting going in. lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thermacell - hook it on your surf belt, I use one for early season hunting and when the black biting fly's are on the jetty. No need to mess with skin so soft and deet.

Edited by Fishit 2

Just now, hobobob said:

You probably haven't met the mutant mosquito we have locally, they sting through your light jacket and shirt, yes, that's 2 layers. denim pants, no problem, drill right through.  You can feel the sting going in. lol

I’m located in NJ, never had any mosquitos bite me through even  my shirt.  Maybe I’m just lucky...:shrug:

Buy some old cigars and hang em lit in your mouth. Puff just enough to keep it lit. Keeps the bugs outta your face. When I smoked cigarettes, same thing. Wouldn't bother me until the butt was out. When I was a kid we could buy punks (some sort of generic incense on a stick). We'd make like we were smoking and that also worked. Might try that although the incense these days smells like an Amsterdam coffee house. 

57 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Use the same approach but with the Simms hat with bug net and fingerless sun gloves . . . you can push the netting of the hat inside if you don't need it.

SFP00704_Tundra.01.jpg?resizeid=27&resizeh=600&resizew=600