EricDice

Biting flies & gnats: Strategies?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I was going to take my sons fishing along the sod tonight (ages 8, 6, 5), but the gnats and biting flies were eating us alive. Took a drive to the beach and it was the same story there. 

Anybody have a strategy for managing the big situation? Bundle up & sweat? Like a good Benny/shoebee dad, I just took a rain check and we all went inside. 

Thanks. Happy Memorial Day weekend 

Repellent? DEET's pretty effective, but I can understand the concern about using it on kids.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

Repellent? DEET's pretty effective, but I can understand the concern about using it on kids.

DEET has zero effect on biting flies. Only thing I've found that works is Picaridin for the skin, but it as soon as you get wet it looses it's effectiveness. and Permethrin applied to outer clothing and fabric, but it's pretty toxic too.

DEET works fine on mosquitoes and black flies. Ticks, noseeums, and greenheads I agree there are better alternatives. 

This is gonna sound nuts but anyway... years ago in LBI down in the Holgate area we were getting murdered by green heads. The ONLY thing that worked was Avon Skin So Soft. OFF and deet was useless. Now you can only get that product straight from Avon.

I typically use OFF with the DEET for most applications and it works well for mosquitos and ticks. Just remember to periodically reapply if you’re going in the water with exposed skin or like me, sweating a lot.

Light high performance long sleeve shirt and bug netting on your head.  Sucks, but on all but the hottest days, you get used to it.

Diesel fuel on the skin, apply one layer and another 30 minutes later 

lol jk, they sell specific repellants for biting flies, it works, just usually have to reapply after a bit  if you're sweating. they tear ya up in the summer at sandy hook, I learned the hard way, cheers

16 hours ago, Saltine109 said:

Diesel fuel on the skin, apply one layer and another 30 minutes later 

lol jk, they sell specific repellants for biting flies, it works, just usually have to reapply after a bit  if you're sweating. they tear ya up in the summer at sandy hook, I learned the hard way, cheers

Can you suggest a specific brand that has worked for you on biting flies and gnats?  Thanks!

On 5/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, Slowwwride said:

This is gonna sound nuts but anyway... years ago in LBI down in the Holgate area we were getting murdered by green heads. The ONLY thing that worked was Avon Skin So Soft. OFF and deet was useless. Now you can only get that product straight from Avon.

I typically use OFF with the DEET for most applications and it works well for mosquitos and ticks. Just remember to periodically reapply if you’re going in the water with exposed skin or like me, sweating a lot.

Skin so Soft works great. You can get it on the net if you look. Got 2 bottles on Amazon about 2 years ago. Still have it. It goes a long way.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:08 PM, EricDice said:

Anybody have a strategy for managing the bug situation?

Run screaming like a little girl flapping my arms has been my method up until recently

Just picked up a fine mesh bug suit to bring on the kayak

Got trapped a long way from my car way back on Tuckerton lake by greenflies, covered in drops of blood by the time I got back - never again !! (I don't care if i do look like an idiot in the bug suit)

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Slowwwride said:

that's not so nuts as you say.

my local bait shop sells it for just what you said.

keeps everything away and you smell wonderful too!

HH

On 5/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, Slowwwride said:

I typically use OFF with the DEET for most applications and it works well

But whatever you do, do NOT get it on your plugs !!

Another story:

A bunch of years ago I waded across to Skeleton Island on the back side of the Hook. The only way to get there was to wade across at dead low tide. You were trapped for the full 12 hours until the tide was low enough to wade out again. We'd had a pretty steady bite out there one late summer / fall so it was worth it.

(It's not a spot burn since the entire island was erased by Sandy and no longer exists)

So the tide was low enough to wade out about an hour or so before dark. I got out there and immediately was into fish, thinking this was going to be a good night ! 

A hour or two later the wind shifted and the mosquitoes found me, clouds of the bastards, and they can be savage out on the Hook. 

I had a small spray can of 100% DEET (the stuff you can't get anymore)

And proceeded to miss my target, my arm, and sprayed it directly into my open plug bag (what idiot keeps their plug bag over their shoulder when spraying bug repellent?). That was it, not another bite, not even a touch. I scrubbed my plugs with sand and water over and over but nothing helped. 10 hours of calling myself an idiot until I could get off that damned island and away from the mosquitoes.

Now I avoid bug repellent to the maximum extent possible and bring a zip lock bag with Clorox Wipes to clean my hands in case it gets bad to the point where I crack and use the stuff.