Where are a reel's bearings located??

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

A lot of fisherman know that many good reels have a relatively high number of high-quality bearings. 

However, I've never known where they are. Where are they in spinning reels? Conventional/Casting Reels?

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

It would help if you gave us some reel model names and numbers to start. 

On a spinning reel there are probably one on each side plate, one maybe under the spool and an ant-reverse bearing inside the body.

on a baitcaster for bass fishing, there is one on the spool, one at each side plate, one on the main gear, 1or 2 on the worm gear, an anti reverse bearing under the handle inside the body and maybe 4 bearings in the paddle handles 2 on each paddle.

Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

In high end spinning reels you'll often find bearings under the spool, above the clutch, in the clutch (anti reverse roller bearings), below the clutch/above the pinion, below the pinion, built into the traverse block, on both sides of the main gear shaft, in the handle, and in the line roller.  On lower end reels they may replace bearings for bushings.

3 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

For the love of all things holy....DON'T GET HUNG UP IN THE NUMBER OF BEARINGS WAR!!!!  Sometimes bushings are better than bearings.  Some of the best reels only have 2 or three.  Daiwa bg.... Penn greenie...

Crappy bearings are worse than no bearings.

I prefer line roller bushing type, no worry about rusting.

15 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

For the love of all things holy....DON'T GET HUNG UP IN THE NUMBER OF BEARINGS WAR!!!!  Sometimes bushings are better than bearings.  Some of the best reels only have 2 or three.  Daiwa bg.... Penn greenie...

Crappy bearings are worse than no bearings.

I agree more bearings doesn't make a better reel. Better off to have good quality bearings in the correct locations.

Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

Thanks you guys. I have a Nasci 3000 and a Ambassador 5600 if that helps. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright