Sudsy

Access question - Jenkinsons Beach in Point

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Access question

We're putting together a list of spots where tidal water access is being illegally denied

It was just brought to my attention that the stretch of beach in Point Pleasant owned by Jenkinsons is not accessible after 5PM without a beach badge, and people are stopped if they try to access.

Can anyone verify this?

Not 100% but I do fish this area often.  I am pretty sure you can fish it.  They do not allow people to hang on the beach or use the water after hours, but surfing and fishing should be a go. 

I never did and still don't understand how anyone can "own" a beach.  Any time Mother Nature wants it She can just take it.  If She does and then some time later puts it back who "owns" it then?

As I understand the law if you access a stretch of "owned" beach from an adjacent plot by way of the water line below the mean high tide mark you cannot be forced to leave.  Trouble is I doubt any local police or even judges understand that part of the law and you'll get harassed and possibly even arrested if you try to exercise that right.  

If anyone has better knowledge of this subject please chime in.  If I'm wrong I'd like to know about it.

8 hours ago, HoldMyBass said:

Not 100% but I do fish this area often.  I am pretty sure you can fish it.  They do not allow people to hang on the beach or use the water after hours, but surfing and fishing should be a go. 

I've fished that beach often in the past, usually in the early morning hours.  Gone before the beach crowds show up.

I fish that area often. As long as you dont have chairs set up etc, you are good to walk it and throw. I have never been bothered. Really depends on if people in the water. 

That is what their web site says.After 5:30pm anyone on the beach are trespassers. Also, anyone on the beach before it opens are trespassers .I've been to jenks in the early morning metal detecting and at night during the summer at the bar and see people all the time on the beach.

Sad to say but in this day and age the golden broom rule is probably in affect and thus, usually the issue gets swept under the rug...

6 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

That is what their web site says.After 5:30pm anyone on the beach are trespassers. Also, anyone on the beach before it opens are trespassers .I've been to jenks in the early morning metal detecting and at night during the summer at the bar and see people all the time on the beach.

Think about it.  They have to take a stance like that in an effort to keep out the drunks, "lovers" and other reprobates.  If they don't and something goes wrong Jenkinson's could be held liable. 

On 5/24/2019 at 0:29 PM, Sudsy said:

Access question

We're putting together a list of spots where tidal water access is being illegally denied

It was just brought to my attention that the stretch of beach in Point Pleasant owned by Jenkinsons is not accessible after 5PM without a beach badge, and people are stopped if they try to access.

Can anyone verify this?

Went there yesterday and my friend just wanted to get some sand between her toes and pick up shells and i can verify that this is the case "on weekends."

Security said "it was implemented 2 years ago because of the amount of litter on the beach. Sometimes they would be cleaning the beach until 2am and they decided it would just be easier to limit access."