• Terri
    • Wayne
    • Raider
    • Wayne
    • Wayne
    • Wayne
    • Wayne
    • Wayne

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

69 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, Belmo said:

But first, take the poll! :D

We got are current heap, a 2005 Chevy Suburban, about six months ago. It was an old dude car: the thing had sat for two years before we got it. And it had a musty smell, from being closed up and unused for so long, and

I brought it to a low-rent detailer, who shampooed the carpets, but that only made it worse. :dismay:  Now, I figger I got a couple of options: one is take it to a detailer who's not a moran, and the other is to yank out the carpet and replace it with something else (if'n I do this, I think I'm going with one a them vinyl flooring jobs, with removable floor mats on top of it. With dogs, using it as a buggy, picking up garden crap and compost in it, etc., the heap gets dirty, and non-removable carpet blows).

Any of you jamokes ever deal with this? What is are best option?

And, in conclusion, screw Wayne. :th:

The smell is because they used water in the carpet shampoo.Take the carpet out scrub it with bissel and let it fully dry and it won't smell like a old wet shoe.

Carpet floor mats or door mats would be a good idea for the back, especially for the dogs feet if that’s where they like to ride. 

If you do the roll or spray on liner get a scuff pad for the die grinder and scuff the whole floor, then rub it down with acetone to get the dust up. It doesn’t have to be bare metal, but scuff the paint. Spraying with a primer would make the final coat more durable, but I didn’t when I did the Jeep and it lasted a good few years of abuse that one puts a real Jeep through. I used the herculiner short bed kit for the Jeep and it was enough, but it being a burban you probably want to get the long bed kit and an extra pint can to be safe. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

And if you have floor drain plugs like a Jeep does, get boat bilge plugs and ream the holes in the floor to fit. If you pull the OEMs once, they keep popping out even after putting them back properly a couple times. That’s if you like to swamp it or run through water though. 

Edited by chessie_yaker

4 mins ago, mitchell master said:

The smell is because they used water in the carpet shampoo.Take the carpet out scrub it with bissel and let it fully dry and it won't smell like a old wet shoe.

This is a free option! I like free! :D

And they did use water shampoo when it was detailed. The **** was so wet that the inside of the windows fogged up for a couple of days after.

The free option might be the best one to try. I thank you! :howdy:

Make sure the heater core isn't leaking. My old car had a mildew smell that persisted until I changed the heater core out, and the leak stopped,  allowing the carpet to dry out but good.

9 mins ago, dena said:

Make sure the heater core isn't leaking. My old car had a mildew smell that persisted until I changed the heater core out, and the leak stopped,  allowing the carpet to dry out but good.

It ain't that. My mechanic went over this heap with a fine-tooth comb after we got it. Mechanically, the car is very sound. It's just the carpet that stinks.

5 mins ago, F150Fish said:

Leave some squid in there a few days that should clear up the musty odor problem...

This is the best one yet! :th:

7 mins ago, Belmo said:

It ain't that. My mechanic went over this heap with a fine-tooth comb after we got it. Mechanically, the car is very sound. It's just the carpet that stinks.

Apparently he didn't do a good job. Ahem, sunroof leak!

4 mins ago, i07nyc said:

Ahem, sunroof leak!

That was the old one. We replaced Houndmobile I with Houndmobile II last fall.  

The sunroof in the Houndmobile II has leaked or broken. Yet. :D

3 mins ago, Belmo said:

That was the old one. We replaced Houndmobile I with Houndmobile II last fall.  

The sunroof in the Houndmobile II has leaked or broken. Yet. :D

Sounds like you need a project. Perhaps I can toss Wayne off a bridge into said sunroof.