HKJonathan

Blackhole Striped Bass Special

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I just got the rod yesterday and managed to get out this morning. It is an incredibly light rod!  You can swing this with little effort. I have been selling my longer rods because they put a lot of stress on my elbow tendinitis. But this rod feels like casting a light 9’ rod.  It also casts incredibly far (take it from a guy who is no great caster!). It is definitely a faster action rod than my other rods so that is something anyone considering this rod should think about. I caught a 38” bass this morning and it was no problem. Time with tell but I think it might be my favorite rod and I own a lot of rods. Pricing is also cheaper vs other high end rods like the ODM Frontier (which I also own). 

Kilsong: you have another winner on your hands!  Also, I want to give a shout out to Jane at JignPop who was super to deal with and shipped the rod same day. 

Jonathan, congrats! I am digging it too. What size did you get? Time will tell, but I foresee this rod being my all around choice when I want one rod to go out with. What reel are you using on it?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for your kind words. :)

I am glad you like the rod. 

My emphasis is the strength of the rods. I hate to see rods get broken while casting or fighting fish. 

While I was fishing tarpon in Florida, I heard three surf rods from a well known maker got broken in three days. That was a starting point to develop Black Hole surf rods as I believe we can make stronger, but lighter rods. 

The rod you use actually a little heavier than prototype rod. They added more material to make stronger as I emphasized the strength is important. :)

Edited by ksong

3 hours ago, Mbrody said:

Jonathan, congrats! I am digging it too. What size did you get? Time will tell, but I foresee this rod being my all around choice when I want one rod to go out with. What reel are you using on it?

Which version did you get and what reel are you using?

4 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

I just got the rod yesterday and managed to get out this morning. It is an incredibly light rod!  You can swing this with little effort. I have been selling my longer rods because they put a lot of stress on my elbow tendinitis. But this rod feels like casting a light 9’ rod.  It also casts incredibly far (take it from a guy who is no great caster!). It is definitely a faster action rod than my other rods so that is something anyone considering this rod should think about. I caught a 38” bass this morning and it was no problem. Time with tell but I think it might be my favorite rod and I own a lot of rods. Pricing is also cheaper vs other high end rods like the ODM Frontier (which I also own). 

Congrats on the fish!

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Are you guys getting used to the larger foam grip above the reel seat

I like the foam grip. I generally don’t

like just xflock over the blank especially narrow diameter blanks. I find that to be really uncomfortable. I now own several Black hole rods and this is one of the things I really like about the rods. By he way, the foam is very dense and firm... not at all like that spongy stuff you find in older rods. 

I don't have a complaint with the foam - other than some slippage after handling a fish. My favorite upper grip is the  "x" raised wrap that I have had on some custom ODM's - if I could change one thing, I would do that.