ASrod

Power Pro SS V2?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What’s so special about it that I should buy it instead of regular PP, slick v1, spiderwire invisibraid or Suffix 832? Would use it on an Spinfisher 6 4500 and a VSX250

convince me

Edited by ASrod

8 hours ago, Tall Paul said:

Nothing special about it, just the replacement for slick v1.

Have you even fished it?  It's nothing at all like the first gen.

Has a slight wirey feels that behaves more like fireline ultra 8 than power pro slick 1

only glass/ greasy smooth  (if that matters)   Even after broken in.

Holds up very well.  And knots have been great.

Makes Maxxima's more expensive braid completely obsolete.   Not exxaggerating that either...I have new in the package spools of it and as great as it is....I haven't cracked them.

30 outings on a pair of baitcasters and the onyx color hasn't really changed....just not as glossy

Handles great on the 1 spinner I've been using it on.

Going forward It'll be my bulk line I put on all my reels outside of needing something coarse for buzz sawing.  

Comparing it to some $16$ carrier braids it's as slick (if that matters) Gosen and Hitena Silky

Even after break in 

I first used it 2 years ago not knowing that it would become V2.  And I was impressed back then.  

That said....while it's better than other slick braids I've used in the past......It's not a line to run out and swap all your reels that you've been using without issue for.  (NO LINE IS)  But it checks every box I can think of for a slick line other than offering an ultra thin 4-8lb test.

(worth mentioning I wasn't a fan of the first gen of which I used about 1500 yards ranging from 8/10 up to 65lb)

Edited by scoobydoo

Are you telling me I should buy PP ? :eek:

I'll do it - but even one mystery breakoff and I'll be at your front door

1 min ago, Sudsy said:

Are you telling me I should buy PP ? :eek:

I'll do it - but even one mystery breakoff and I'll be at your front door

Yes.  If you like your old Stealth you'll love this stuff.  That waxy so slick it's almost tacky  feel of the old green stealth will be instantly familiar....only it stays put and the weave stays tight and solid

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Have you even fished it?  It's nothing at all like the first gen.

Has a slight wirey feels that behaves more like fireline ultra 8 than power pro slick 1

only glass/ greasy smooth  (if that matters)   Even after broken in.

Holds up very well.  And knots have been great.

Makes Maxxima's more expensive braid completely obsolete.   Not exxaggerating that either...I have new in the package spools of it and as great as it is....I haven't cracked them.

30 outings on a pair of baitcasters and the onyx color hasn't really changed....just not as glossy

Handles great on the 1 spinner I've been using it on.

Going forward It'll be my bulk line I put on all my reels outside of needing something coarse for buzz sawing.  

Comparing it to some $16$ carrier braids it's as slick (if that matters) Gosen and Hitena Silky

Even after break in 

I first used it 2 years ago not knowing that it would become V2.  And I was impressed back then.  

That said....while it's better than other slick braids I've used in the past......It's not a line to run out and swap all your reels that you've been using without issue for.  (NO LINE IS)  But it checks every box I can think of for a slick line other than offering an ultra thin 4-8lb test.

(worth mentioning I wasn't a fan of the first gen of which I used about 1500 yards ranging from 8/10 up to 65lb)

Keep in mind that I currently have no spooled reels and I haven’t been keeping watch of all the new trendy lines and gear. That being said, would you say that I should use this over something else that’s on the market?

I'm still not convinced about their quality control, I just recently bought 2 retail spools of 300yrd  30lb SSv2 in the marine blue color. 1 spool has a deeper blue color than the other. Fished the reel spooled with the lighter colored line today and had multiple mystery break offs near the leader, and also appears to be a section of damaged line about a long cast worth of line deep. The other spool of line seems fine thus far but time will tell. 

I've fished most of the major brands of usdm braid and still prefer suffix 832 the most for now

14 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

That's the point I was trying to make, by saying nothing special about it. Seems like a fair amount of people on here and out on the water are trying to BUY experience and knowledge, instead of learning how to use the equipment that they already have. And while, you see it as an improvement over the original Super Slick, I found it to be a step backwards. Maybe, I didn't give it enough time. What works for you, may not work for me, or vice visa. Are either of us wrong? No! It's an opinion, and if we are catching fish, or just enjoying being on the water trying to catch fish, that's all that matters.

About a month ago had two spinners spooled with 20 v2 on a 4000 and 30 on a 5000. don’t like power pro. The line stood up to multiple fish including 12 LB  blue and has been easy to use and get normal distances maybe slightly better with casts of lighter lures let alone heavy ones. I did noticed a lot of braid fraying on my ride home on the main section of line , but I had been fishing a jetty at an inlet and maybe just need to cut back some. No mystery breaks or anything. Used multiple days of long fishing sessions. Only break offs were where my leader was attached to my TA clip. Knot slipped on bruiser blues( leader not braid).

Edited by jeffapeikin