cashews121

832 Broke again

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I posted about this very recently,,Just got around to tying it to a mono leader again via Albright knot,and it broke again. 

A few inches from the knot,so It’s not my knot tying ability..I don’t know what to make of this..I think I will contact Sufix tomorrow.

36A77D8B-FBC5-48D7-A390-A4E5B14A2EE0.jpeg

If it's always breaking around that area on the line, then I've got two guesses to figure this out.

1. Check the inner ring of the tip guide for damage such as cracks or any sharp edges. It's usually made of ceramic or alconite or silicon carbide and breaks pretty easily. It's kinda brittle. Just a small sharp edge will cut the line. 

If that's ok, then.....

2. Check the METAL ring on the outside of tip guide. This is the frame that holds the ceramic/alconite/silicon carbide ring. The outside part of this metal ring gets scuffed up sometimes and gets little burrs. Maybe when you transport your rod with the line going through the guides and around your tip, the line rubs against a burr on the metal ring and that damages your line. 

Just a couple of ideas. That's all.

2 mins ago, night owl said:

If it's always breaking around that area on the line, then I've got two guesses to figure this out.

1. Check the inner ring of the tip guide for damage such as cracks or any sharp edges. It's usually made of ceramic or alconite or silicon carbide and breaks pretty easily. It's kinda brittle. Just a small sharp edge will cut the line. 

If that's ok, then.....

2. Check the METAL ring on the outside of tip guide. This is the frame that holds the ceramic/alconite/silicon carbide ring. The outside part of this metal ring gets scuffed up sometimes and gets little burrs. Maybe when you transport your rod with the line going through the guides and around your tip, the line rubs against a burr on the metal ring and that damages your line. 

Just a couple of ideas. That's all.

I neglected to mention the reel is not even mounted on a rod.. its breaking when I apply a good amount of force to test the knot,,make sure its cinched up tight..I know I am pretty strong,but to break 30lb test 832 by hand is reeeeeeeelly tough.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can tell by the color of your 832 that it's not new and is well worn. It's breaking strength is probably a lot less now. I doesn't take a whole lot of force to break old/worn 30lb braid by hand when tugging hard on it. I can do it easily. 

And remember... The first 10' or so of line (assuming a 10' rod) is usually the weakest. Your casting finger has had a lot of hard friction contact on every inch of that first 10' or so of line. As you cut a little line to re tie a knot, the previous beat up line (from your casting finger) moves a few inches forward again then again then again. Eventually, all the line from the reel to the lure becomes your weakest line out of your main line. Just a point to ponder. 

Edited by night owl

1 hour ago, night owl said:

I can tell by the color of your 832 that it's not new and is well worn. It's breaking strength is probably a lot less now. I doesn't take a whole lot of force to break old/worn 30lb braid by hand when tugging hard on it. I can do it easily. 

And remember... The first 10' or so of line (assuming a 10' rod) is usually the weakest. Your casting finger has had a lot of hard friction contact on every inch of that first 10' or so of line. As you cut a little line to re tie a knot, the previous beat up line (from your casting finger) moves a few inches forward again then again then again. Eventually, all the line from the reel to the lure becomes your weakest line out of your main line. Just a point to ponder. 

Actually,it’s a brand new spool

17 mins ago, cashews121 said:

Actually,it’s a brand new spool

I assume you got the white braid then. Lol...

On my screen, it doesn't look white but more like a very faded light green. That's the color the green turns into when old. 

That's a weird issue. A head scratcher. 

8 hours ago, cashews121 said:

.I know I am pretty strong,but to break 30lb test 832 by hand is reeeeeeeelly tough.

Yes, yes it is!