Rod finish question

Rate this topic

flyfishvt

Just bought a used rod from the big auction site.  Rod has measurement markings on it that look they were made with a gold paint pen.  They're pretty sloppy and I'd like to remove them.  Is there a solvent I can use that will not hurt the finish of the rod?

Thanks...

Bruce

4 mins ago, flyfishvt said:

Just bought a used rod from the big auction site.  Rod has measurement markings on it that look they were made with a gold paint pen.  They're pretty sloppy and I'd like to remove them.  Is there a solvent I can use that will not hurt the finish of the rod?

Thanks...

Bruce

Ethanol, isopropanol, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, or paint thinners. Acetone and lacquer thinners might react with the finish or blank itself and have unpredictable consequences. If it really is just pen, I would think DA and some elbow grease would take it off rather easily. Use what you have on hand first. 

Serious pullage. 

I would apply with a Q-tip and see if you can work slowly in a small area. That will tell you if there is any reaction. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

This may sound crazy, but don't rub too quickly or firmly. Some finishes, especially the epoxy on the threads wraps, can heat up and become hazy or blurry looking. 

As DantheBassMan said - no acetone. Mineral spirits maybe - but test a small area first.  Also GooGone, but test it first. 

13 hours ago, flyfishvt said:

Thanks...

Bruce

If not too long a section on the rod, you could always throw a wrap over it with a light coat of epoxy.  Match the thread color or choose one that compliments the other wraps.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."