Circle hooks only in New England ?.

Rate this topic

Jim A.

It is the Law in FL when Bait fishing for reef fish, Grouper/Red Snapper, Amber Jack, in FL waters  ( 9 miles out from shore) one must use an Inline non stainless circle Hook,  In Federal waters I am not quite sure , you can use one inshore if so inclined to    Al

From what I've heard, circle hooks will be required when recreational striped bass fishermen fish with bait in Massachusetts (with some exceptions, but check the rules for the details).  They are also required in Maryland.

I also believe that they are required at certain times in certain other waterways in various states.

Because this is an emerging issue, and the landscape has seen recent changes, it probably makes sense to check your own state's regulations before heading out if you intend to use bait.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Circle hooks required in Maine when fishing bait. Inline circle hooks must lay flat when placed on a flat surface. Have bent offset circles to satisfy requirement. They suck for live lining macks, lose fish, but do work for the intended purpose of lip hooking rather than gut hooking

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

16 hours ago, Livliner said:

Circle hooks required in Maine when fishing bait. Inline circle hooks must lay flat when placed on a flat surface. Have bent offset circles to satisfy requirement. They suck for live lining macks, lose fish, but do work for the intended purpose of lip hooking rather than gut hooking

Idk if it’s any different with bunker, but when live lining with a circle, I put the reel in near free spool with just the clicker on. When I get a bite, I let it take it for almost ten seconds, then slowly move lever to strike. Works near every time and have yet to gut hook a fish this way.

6 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Idk if it’s any different with bunker, but when live lining with a circle, I put the reel in near free spool with just the clicker on. When I get a bite, I let it take it for almost ten seconds, then slowly move lever to strike. Works near every time and have yet to gut hook a fish this way.

I do the same thing, however, I find the hook up ratio is less with circles than with J hooks. That and the circle  hook seems to turn back into the mackerel more often negating a hookup, I hook the bait in the snout. No worries, I seldom live line anymore as I have been migrating towards plugs and artificials almost exclusively.

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

The Circle hook reg only applies to rec fisherman in MA. Charters and Commercial boats are allowed to use J-Hooks still. You can also still use the snag and drop technique with the weighted treble hooks.. Cuz you know, a fish has never been gut hooked that way.. Important to remember, it only applies to striper fishing or if you have a striper in your possession. So as long as you dont keep one, im not sure how they can prove you are "striper fishing"...

Edited by Baitbucket

1 hour ago, Baitbucket said:

The Circle hook reg only applies to rec fisherman in MA. Charters and Commercial boats are allowed to use J-Hooks still. You can also still use the snag and drop technique with the weighted treble hooks.. Cuz you know, a fish has never been gut hooked that way.. Important to remember, it only applies to striper fishing or if you have a striper in your possession. So as long as you dont keep one, im not sure how they can prove you are "striper fishing"...

The rule goes into effect in Massachusetts in 2020. I also am wondering how they can prove that you’re fishing for stripers, when I usually get about a 4/1 ratio of blues over stripers. I know for me it’s going to force me to really use plugs and stray away from bait completely.

7787D87E-4723-4805-9D1F-3A37DAD051D2.png

I've had trouble with circles and chunk/live bait. Last year, drifting live mackerel, I started threading a Gamakatsu from one nostril to the opposite eye socket, missing the eye. Secure, doesn't injure the bait too badly, and very good hook up ratio fished side by side with a couple J hook guys. Best results achieved with the rod in hand and open bail or freespool. Let them run until the pause/turn, or a five count, whichever comes first. I've also considered the usual through the nostrils configuration, with a bit of rubber band on the hook to trap just the barb and point outside the bait. Might be less fiddly.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

On 5/25/2019 at 3:08 AM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

now "they" are telling guys what kinda hooks they have to use?

sounds like the foot in the door thing.

HH

It has been proven time and time again that they reduce mortality, if it helps what really is your problem with the reg. Small price to pay to continue to enjoy what we all here do. :waiting:

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

1 hour ago, Stonesipher said:

It has been proven time and time again that they reduce mortality, if it helps what really is your problem with the reg. Small price to pay to continue to enjoy what we all here do. :waiting:

actually the reg does not apply to me,I don't soak meat nor do live bait.

I am sure that you and most here know what my post means.

it's not like we need more govt in what we do as far as what gear we use.

remember this new reg in about 5 years + what I posted.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,