intothewild

why use fly rod for tarpon

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

For fun.  Also, women dig men who fish with fly tackle. They also are much quicker to let you get to second base if you fish with a fluorocarbon tippet. 

First thing you should understand is that an 11 or 12wt fly rod is a hell of a lot more powerful than it looks. Second, the challenge. 

3 hours ago, intothewild said:

can someone tell me why people using fly rod instead of the regular one

Why wouldn't you is the better question.

7 hours ago, intothewild said:

Whats a "regular one"?

I have greater control of the fish with a fly rod. I can play the angles of the length of the rod and turn a fish much easier than a spin or conventional. The idea is to bring the fish in with the least amount of time spent to make sure the fish will swim off well. 

11 hours ago, intothewild said:

Good question and all the comments above are quite relevant. On Youtube and elsewhere you'll find plenty of videos of fisher-folk catching Tarpon using live crabs with spinning & conventional gear. Live bait will always out-fish artificial "bait" ... lures or flies.

But once you decide to use "artificial" means to fool a fish .... the fly rod can be the best tool to use in "presenting" your lure. It's a truism for Tarpon as it is for Striped Bass.

Tarpon like Stripers eat a lot of different things in their environs. On thing they eat is a worm ... in a worm "hatch" which is nearly impossible to present using spinning gear.

But mostly ... the fly rod is used because it is more "sporting" and effective ... for Tarpon and / or Striped Bass. And yeah chicks in bikinis ... Love it!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Its the challenge the technicality of it using real skills....the regular ones @some point becomes too easy. 

Its like  hunting with a bow and arrow  instead of a rifle..

Check out silver kings on you tube it might get you to come to the dark side :howdy:

Edited by thaistick

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, thaistick said:

Its the challenge the technicality of it using real skills....the regular ones @some point becomes too easy. 

Its like  hunting with a bow and arrow  instead of a rifle..

Check out silver kings on you tube it might get you to come to the dark side :howdy:

yea ive been watching tarpon fishing recently and noticed so many people using flyrod, didnt know why they chose using it over spinner or conventional, thats why i posted this question, now i know

Edited by intothewild