adams54

Beach access Memorial-Labor Day

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys I have a question. Now that Memorial Day weekend is upon us the beach badge checkers will be checking for badges. It is my understanding that if I am fishing the surf it is my legal right to have access. In the past they have debated me on this premise and me being the nice guy that I am would just back down. This year will be different. Is there something definitive I can print out to show the beach badge checkers to gain access? Am I allowed to fish beaches guarded by lifeguards provided no one is swimming? 

Edited by adams54

Lateral beach access is granted to you for access up and down the entire stretch of the sand to the high tide line.  Depending on municipal laws, you may not be able to fish in designated swimming areas (I believe most common is within 50 yards of a flagged/coned/buoyed designated swimming area).  

Yep I tried to fish in the summer a few years back out front in wildwood. 6 freaking lifeguards swarmed me and said you can’t fish. Showed the guards my license and they didn’t care. More concern over me fishing, then the under age kids drinking and littering everywhere. Some towns don’t care like sea isle city. They said I can fish anywhere, hell the one lifeguard spot burned himself lol. Just ask the township or a lifeguard they will let you know.

OP is asking if he can go on the beach without a badge it sounds like because he is fishing. I have no idea but am interested.

Wildwood doesn't use flags like LBI for swim zones so that is an interesting situation. I wouldn't want to fish near anyone swimming though, it's just a bad idea.

From what I understand and from my experiences, when the lifeguards are gone, it's all good to fish the beach...some towns will give "free" access to fishermen during guarded times