Frank5

Century Surf Machine Info

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

I am interested in this rod (10 footer, 1-5 oz) but difficult for me to make casting demos etc. 

Who owns this rod or fished it? 

I own and am am familiar with the FSC 10’6, 3/4-4 oz, CTS 10 foot Baycaster 2-3.5 oz, and ODM Frontier X 9’6, 3/4-4 oz rods so I am familiar with the actions and properties of these. If someone can shed some light as to where this Century Surf Machine model might fall in line with those rods as far as action and behavior I’d greatly appreciate it. 

I like my 2 piece 10’ CTS, but it really doesn’t fish plugs below 1.5 oz very well...partly due to its faster nature even though it’s a Mod/Fast. Strangely enough when I had that rod this same rod and rating in a 1 piece it was better fishing the lower range than the current 2 piece. 

Id like to know if this Century model can comfortable fish 1-5 oz and what the action in general is like? 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:38 AM, Frank5 said:

I am interested in this rod (10 footer, 1-5 oz) but difficult for me to make casting demos etc. 

Who owns this rod or fished it? 

I own and am am familiar with the FSC 10’6, 3/4-4 oz, CTS 10 foot Baycaster 2-3.5 oz, and ODM Frontier X 9’6, 3/4-4 oz rods so I am familiar with the actions and properties of these. If someone can shed some light as to where this Century Surf Machine model might fall in line with those rods as far as action and behavior I’d greatly appreciate it. 

I like my 2 piece 10’ CTS, but it really doesn’t fish plugs below 1.5 oz very well...partly due to its faster nature even though it’s a Mod/Fast. Strangely enough when I had that rod this same rod and rating in a 1 piece it was better fishing the lower range than the current 2 piece. 

Id like to know if this Century model can comfortable fish 1-5 oz and what the action in general is like? 

Frank5, where in NJ are you located?

The Surf Machines are mod/fast action with lots of power.  They throw their entire range well. Very easy to cast with lots of distance. Textreme finish for added exterior durability,  meaning you don't have to worry about a nick if you fish around rocks. They're extremely durable 

9 mins ago, AFMike said:

Frank5, where in NJ are you located?

The Surf Machines are mod/fast action with lots of power.  They throw their entire range well. Very easy to cast with lots of distance. Textreme finish for added exterior durability,  meaning you don't have to worry about a nick if you fish around rocks. They're extremely durable 

Near Pt. Pleasant. That’s interesting. Sounds like it could be in my wheel house. I’ll have to try to get one in my hands to feel. Mike, do you feel like that 10 foot 1-5 oz can easily throw 1 oz and can it stretch to 3/4?

12 mins ago, Frank5 said:

Near Pt. Pleasant. That’s interesting. Sounds like it could be in my wheel house. I’ll have to try to get one in my hands to feel. Mike, do you feel like that 10 foot 1-5 oz can easily throw 1 oz and can it stretch to 3/4?

Yes it can throw 3/4 and  1oz. There is also a 3/4 to 4 model. I have the 9ft 3/4-4oz, 10ft 3/4-4oz and 1-5oz and 11ft 1-5oz models

1 hour ago, Frank5 said:

Chasing Tales said it right. Yes, you could throw a 3/4oz bucky with it

51 mins ago, ChasingTales said:

Yes it can throw 3/4 and  1oz. There is also a 3/4 to 4 model. I have the 9ft 3/4-4oz, 10ft 3/4-4oz and 1-5oz and 11ft 1-5oz models

I have the FSC 1266 as well, and while I’ll commonly cast as low as an ounce, I really like the rod for 1.25 to 3 ounce lures. For me at least, above 3oz the FSC is exiting its sweet spot.  I’m planning a Cabo trip this summer and thinking of the 11’ SurfMachine for the 2.5 to 4.5 oz. How do you feel it handles its mid- to upper range?

1 hour ago, Alferd Packer said:

I have the FSC 1266 as well, and while I’ll commonly cast as low as an ounce, I really like the rod for 1.25 to 3 ounce lures. For me at least, above 3oz the FSC is exiting its sweet spot.  I’m planning a Cabo trip this summer and thinking of the 11’ SurfMachine for the 2.5 to 4.5 oz. How do you feel it handles its mid- to upper range?

3/4 up to 4oz is what I have thrown with and it handle  the weights  well. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is a century surf machine GRAPHENE rod now..... it is reinforced with graphene making it even more durable and stronger..... for the blank it ranges from 550-700... i handled one at striper day and it felt amazing.... people did durability demos and took the graphene rods and smashed them against a wall and they did not break... crazy

Edited by Fishy4335

4 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Either the 1 to 5 or 1 to 6 would excel in Mexico.  I fish a 12' down there for the added distance. 

I was throwing the new CaboSurfcaster Elite 2-8 the other night...Ryan (White) sent me out the door with it to see what I thought.  From what I understand, this is based on the new Surf Machine Elite Graphene...

I was throwing a 1.5 oz spoon a mind blowing distance from my vantage point.  

Edited by TimS
We don’t allow promotion of social media channels here.

So the SurfMachine Elite is the newest edition of this rod, and with the graphene?

I looked at the rods listed on Tomo’s Tackle and it only talks of premium graphite and carbon cross weave construction. Is there a big jump in price from the $550+ list price of those rods, to the graphene? Century’s website leaves a lot to be desired. Very little info.

Edited by Mack26

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

So the SurfMachine Elite is the newest edition of this rod, and with the graphene?

I looked at the rods listed on Tomo’s Tackle and it only talks of premium graphite and carbon cross weave construction. Is there a big jump in price from the $550+ list price of those rods, to the graphene? Century’s website leaves a lot to be desired. Very little info.

I have 2 century stealth graphene rods and looking into the surf machine graphene as well.... I paid close to 900 built for the stealth graphene I believe the surf machine elite graphene is a touch more money..... I high sticked 20 lb fish on the rocks with them and it tanked them up like it was a metal bar... I was actually purposely trying to break the rod by pumping high stick and the rod just wont snap.... love em

Edited by Fishy4335