slowroller

Day vs Night strategies

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Over the last few years I've concentrated almost completely on night fishing with artificials for stripers and had great success. I'm about as dialed in as I think I can get when it comes to what tides/times/moon-phase to fish which spots, and it's a rare occasion that I don't find at least a few fish. However I feel like I'm missing some good opportunities to fish day tides. I've fished a handful of day time tides this season so far and my success ratio is the exact opposite of my night game. I've tried to apply the same tactics I used for redfish and speckled trout down south, but no joy thus far. Would love to hear some thoughts on day time tactics vs night. Also, I'm fishing East River/Hudson River areas from shore, not open beaches, so dealing with some monster currents. 

Thanks. 

Edited by slowroller

I’m new to sea fishing, I used to always fish in big lakes and rivers in Russia. And I don’t know whether the tide is good or bad for fishing? Give some good tips for newbies, please.

9 hours ago, GarryNYC said:

...Give some good tips for newbies, please.

Start reading some books, bacuska.

1 hour ago, Robbiethao10 said:

The master fisherman John Skinner on YouTube will show you everything you need to know 

Thanks it is always great having suggestions. There are tons of videos on YouTube...not always easy to figure out which ones are actually worth watching.

1 hour ago, GoldenStateSurf said:

Thanks it is always great having suggestions. There are tons of videos on YouTube...not always easy to figure out which ones are actually worth watching.

He is definitely the guy to watch. He actually covers and talks somewhat in-depth on using various plugs unlike others who just tell you what to use

Daytime I look for birds, use a pencil or spook to search and will fish paddletails close to the bottom quicker than usual with a bounce. Really tough to catch with consistency during the day. 

9 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Day time strategy-drink beer, rest up for the night. Night time strategy-fish. 

Pretty straightforward. 

That's pretty much what I thought. I'll stick with the night shift. 

35 mins ago, slowroller said:

That's pretty much what I thought. I'll stick with the night shift. 

As someone who primarily fishes the night shift, i cherish and the spring and fall because it ups your chances of catching during the day. Nows the time to fish during the daylight. Then go back there at night. Permanent night shift is for the heat of the summer. Maybe you should try the same things that work at night during the day, i fish alot of places exactly the same no matter the lighting, but with little tweaks.

7 mins ago, aglenn said:

As someone who primarily fishes the night shift, i cherish and the spring and fall because it ups your chances of catching during the day. Nows the time to fish during the daylight. Then go back there at night. Permanent night shift is for the heat of the summer. Maybe you should try the same things that work at night during the day, i fish alot of places exactly the same no matter the lighting, but with little tweaks.

I've spent quite a bit of time in my go to spots during the day over the last five years, trying different tides, different parts of the moon phase, up and down the water column and the fish, if there, aren't feeding if the sun is up. The lights go out, and the fish turn on. It's almost uncanny. Maybe it's just that particular stretch of water. Open beaches, jetties, etc I don't have the same issues. 

7 hours ago, slowroller said:

I've spent quite a bit of time in my go to spots during the day over the last five years, trying different tides, different parts of the moon phase, up and down the water column and the fish, if there, aren't feeding if the sun is up. The lights go out, and the fish turn on. It's almost uncanny. Maybe it's just that particular stretch of water. Open beaches, jetties, etc I don't have the same issues. 

Try thinking with some logic at your spots when youre there in the day time. A river mouth for example will hold fish inside of it during the outgoing at night. Fish are waiting to ambush bait getting washed out. Then if theblow to high switch is in the middle of the day, it might be best to wade or get a kayak to fish just outside the river mouth. If the fish are there at night they cant be very far away during the day. Just try some Minor tweaks you havent tried yet. That being said they are nocturnal so i dont think itll ever be as good in daylight but there are always fish to be caught