Jimo95

Inlet vs. Surf

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I can just as easy fish an inlet as the surf since they are not far from me.  Are there times, conditions, etc. when it is advantageous to fish the inlet as opposed to the surf?

Generally speaking or thinking, inlets are probably more productive than open beach fishing, its a funnel bringing in baitfish as well as having the baitfish tumble out of the inlet into the ocean. Sometimes its a smorgasbord of feed . However, in most conditions the fishing is harder and landing fish can be a chore as well as battling boat traffic and of course your fellow man. Inlets attract a lot of folks that heard it was a good spot to wet a line, thus more aggravation. There is a learning curve to fishing inlets, current and depth are always a concern. Did I mention crowds?

Sometimes its a good idea to fish the beach just down from an inlet, in NJ most of the beaches just north of the inlets outproduce the ones to the south. Been that way forever, I would explain why but I don't know, maybe the prevailing winds and water action push bait to the north sides more often, hows that sound for an explanation?

I fish both depending on conditions and times. I prefer beach fishing or jetty fishing for the reasons Highlander mentioned. 

I've typically done better towards slack in an inlet. It can be challenging to work a plug or bucktail in ripping water. 

10 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Generally speaking or thinking, inlets are probably more productive than open beach fishing, its a funnel bringing in baitfish as well as having the baitfish tumble out of the inlet into the ocean. Sometimes its a smorgasbord of feed . However, in most conditions the fishing is harder and landing fish can be a chore as well as battling boat traffic and of course your fellow man. Inlets attract a lot of folks that heard it was a good spot to wet a line, thus more aggravation. There is a learning curve to fishing inlets, current and depth are always a concern. Did I mention crowds?

Sometimes its a good idea to fish the beach just down from an inlet, in NJ most of the beaches just north of the inlets outproduce the ones to the south. Been that way forever, I would explain why but I don't know, maybe the prevailing winds and water action push bait to the north sides more often, hows that sound for an explanation?

Sounds great.  Thanks for your input.  I generally fish the southern side of the inlet, because going to the northern end I would need to drive on the beach and I don't have the vehicle to do that.  Last week the crowds were insane at the inlet I was fishing.  Guess everybody heard the bluefishing was good.  

Try to learn the tides, basically the out going tends to be better in inlets. Look for the sand bars, cuts, rips, holes,  etc... Bounce around and keep a log or something you'll notice patterns

Top of tide. If you can be at an inlet when the tide swings(changes) it can be really good. All the bait fish are confused. Larger fish are moving shifting to set up for the tide change. It can trigger a bite that can last 5 minutes or 5 hours. 

Have a good set of korkers. Always have a plan of where you will either swing the fish up or where you go down to the fish. Have a plan. 

Backpack with gear. One rod. 

6 hours ago, Fi**** 2 said:

Just dont be that guy who chunks with 5 rods on the jetty. Chunk the beach and let pluggers fish the jetty.

I’m the type of guy that doesn’t chunk so that should be easy...

inlets are great fishing but the boats, crowds, and the guys that chunk in the middle of pluggers, I prefer the surf though- more of a challenge and more space to fight fish in a large area and smaller crowds (Besides Albie Season )