Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frog

Is this bad line lay?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, night owl said:

Not too bad. That's better than some of the crap I see. Looks like you may need to add 1 or 2 shims.

I added one shim and it was definitely heavy toward the bottom after adding it so I took it off because it looks better this way but still not perfect. Maybe I put it on wrong?

^^^^ What he said.

If the line lay causes tangles and whatnot it's a problem, if it doesn't then who cares?  This isn't a beauty contest. 

Hook lure to a tree and walk back as far as you can. Then reel in tight with rod bent over walking to the lure putting line on tight.

They fish it and see what it does.

1 min ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Hook lure to a tree and walk back as far as you can. Then reel in tight with rod bent over walking to the lure putting line on tight.

They fish it and see what it does.

With a ball bearing swivel near the lure maybe?

I have had much worse line lay that didn’t cause problems. That said, my NASCI wasn’t too purdy and I was getting wind knots on the regular. I took the 20 lbs braid off. Respooled with 30, put a big 40 yard hump in the middle by hand, then reeled the line on top to fill it up and it came out perfect. 

Easy suggestion, though annoying, is to get it respooled on a machine at a tackle shop. They can put the hump on which will flatten out as you use it. Or, they can do it perfectly flat. It’ll go very slightly hourglass afterward but barely. 

Looks pretty good to me, not perfect, but better than the hideous line lay of a vs. You may be slightly over filled though.

8 hours ago, Frog said:

I added one shim and it was definitely heavy toward the bottom after adding it so I took it off because it looks better this way but still not perfect. Maybe I put it on wrong?

Perhaps you used the wrong shim. Check the thickness of your shims. There are usually 2 size shims that come with a reel. Thick shims & thin shims. Thick shims make a big difference. Thin shims are for fine tuning. Sounds like you used a thick shim. Try a thin shim if you got it. 

Your just a tad top heavy. The benefit is less wind knots. This can be good if your a pencil popper guy. The drawback is you get a tad less distance in your cast which could cost you fish sometimes. Your reel is a tool. Set it up for whatever job you need it to do. 

I actually just finished shimmying a new Shimano reel that came in the mail today. I like my stack perfectly parallel. That's what I need for my fishing. Good luck.

What "R.R. Bridge Fisher" said, post #7.  Attach end to a tree and walk almost all the line off.  Then reel the line back on under moderate/heavy rod pressure, like you are fighting a big fish.

Also what chitala383 said, post #9.  Your reel seems a bit over filled.  If you have problems with tangles and loops sticking out during fishing then I would suggest cutting off maybe 50 feet and see if that helps.  Maybe another 50 feet might help even more.  Trial and error style.

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's the typical line lay of the reverse taper Daiwa ABS spool. The higher end one will lay a little smoother but will still be reverse taper. Just a tad bit over spool. Fine with stiff wiry braid but might be a nightmare for soft braid.

Edited by aquaholik