DMacLeod

Composite skirting board

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Well the new composite decking is down.  New handrails and balusters are done,  So tomorrow I start the ribbon board to hide the edges of composite decking.

I am going to try the Lemmello biscuits John suggested (they came in today) and yes they were expensive  ($50 for 80 biscuits) but if they work it will be worth it.

This will be a trial and error thing as I know the angles aren't perfect.    If I was smart I would just do the ribbon out of PT.    

4kv+ykzJQ4iJLXsM7nDOww.jpg

I hope they work for you bud.

And I know I didn't mention it in the other thread, but why didn't you just picture frame it?

I know it's more framing/blocking, but well worth it to me. Pretty much SOP for me.

8 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

I hope they work for you bud.

And I know I didn't mention it in the other thread, but why didn't you just picture frame it?

I know it's more framing/blocking, but well worth it to me. Pretty much SOP for me.

A picture frame would have looked good but I still would have wanted a ribbon to cover where the lattice meets decking.

Well I had a day off today and decided to work with the angles and biscuits.    They wouldn't hold by themselves so I tried some Gorilla PVC glue.

It seems the board isn't PVC as the glue didn't seem  grab like on PVC pipe.  I am going to let it sit overnight and see how it does.   I picked up some Locktite polyurethane glue and will try that on another set of corners.

Pic below shows why I want a skirt board.  

fullsizeoutput_1be.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1bc.jpeg

3K8rR2xTTQqryxzLq2t%+Q.jpg

5 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Have you tried Azek Adhesive?  

Not yet.  If the Locktite doesn't work I 'll try that next.

Yeah, that's the main issue with composite decking. It's composite, so ya kinda never know what glue will work. Azek decking is easy, cause they have the glue. Others become problematic. 

25 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Yeah, that's the main issue with composite decking. It's composite, so ya kinda never know what glue will work. Azek decking is easy, cause they have the glue. Others become problematic. 

I wanted to do the deck in mahogany, that is until I priced it out.  Would have been an extra 1K just for the decking boards.

140 LF of 2x4 stock for the hand rails cost 5 bills and then throw in a gallon of Penofin for another 50 and it started adding up quick.

Plus with the composite I won't have to oil every year.

Looks really good Dave :th::th: 

PL makes so many products, and I've found their customer support to be top shelf.