flyfishvt

Any news from the Cape?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Headed down in a week for our annual pilgrimage and looking for something to get excited about!  OTW reports make it seem like you can walk across Buzzards Bay on the backs of the schoolies that have inundated Cape Cod.

Anyone doing any shore fishing lately?

Posted (edited) · Report post

No great surprise with what the press say. They  got to sell mags.Also how long do they have before having to go to,press. Most press just make it up.

Some mags require copy two months  in advance .

It will be what it is when you turn up just same as for us when we show,up this Saturday.

Dont care what the reports are good or bad. Only by fishing will we know the truth.

Good luck

Mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

Agreed Mike...the fishing will be what it will.  No matter how the fishing shakes out, just being on the ocean, feeling the clam shells crackle under my boots, casting to what might be the striper of a lifetime, makes for the best week of the year for me. 

We're down there for about 8 nights..group of nine great guys that have been doing the same for the last 10 yrs.  Takes about 2 days for the "striper buzz" to kick in.  All who do this, know it as the feeling that sets in from lack of sleep and many hrs on the water.  Bleary eyes, dragging boots and sore shoulders....just can't wait!

I was there from Thursday 5/16-Sunday 5/19.  Fished Barnstable Thursday, Friday Saturday- lots of fish from 12"-25".  Fished Pleasant Bay on Sunday, slow but saw waders catching lots of micros.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, flyfishvt said:

I like that!!!

Herring or Squid flies are a requirement don't leave home without them.  My buddy surfcast he did very well too using 10 inch wooden metal lips.  I was primarily using herring imitations fly patterns 2/3 nights.  We tried the squid run one night and my friend got fish using darter plugs, but I skunked.  I managed to snag a squid with my fly though.  Should have left it on my fly and let it swim around LOL.  I did not throw as single fly under 10 inches at night.  Numbers were low but the quality was good.  Good luck on your trip.  I am focusing all my efforts closer to home from here on out until late June when i will start hitting the Canal frequently.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

Stop in North Chatham Outfitters[rte 28] if you're down that way.They can help.

Yeah they can sure as hell tell you every location and spot, “north Chatham spot burners”