Plugger207

Ethics thought/question

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

So this morning I was up early fishing a well known Southern Maine spot......had the place to myself until first light and as the tide dropped.....eventually this time of year someone will show up....my question is, is it not common knowledge that when fishing a river drop if someone is there first you don’t walk past them to fish?  All I’m asking and saying is when I’m not the first there I’ll either go elsewhere or fish back of the person with squatting rights.....?  I understand it’s a big ocean and all for everyone to fish it....also I expect to not always be alone but at what point is the other angler/anglers being bullies and pricks....I caught plenty of fish and that’s not the point but I’m curious how everyone feels ethically?

thank you for your input 

I'm guessing you are biasing this on the premise that you got there first and should be entitled to the "new" spot as it appears.

So what if the new guy waits until you move down but you never do? Why should he not be able to go because you are not moving? Just questions biased on my initial assumption. As they say, food for thought. 

back of the person? can only 1 person fish the spot at a time? I dont understand the scene to give you advice other than they are not being bulles or procks by being there. I think you may be inferring that part. Did you try talking to them? 

I’m not sure I understand the question/scenario, but if a better spot opens up because the tide has dropped, why aren’t you already there? 

Alright I’ll better explain.  Open beach meets tidal estuary......the river mouth is very fishable as the tide drops and you follow the drop. Classic.  So I’m fishing the point and have been for an hour without a soul insight.  Before the drop occurs people come on my right parallel and fish.  Let me state I have zero issues with fishing a drop with a group... I was always taught and practiced not flanking the lead guy especially if he was there.  As the tide moves sure w e bounce around I’m just curious thoughts....’maybe I was taught wrong.....was always the way we did it here when I was a kid and definitely in Alaska swinging flys....I’m all about sharing the fishery 100 percent but it seemed a bit bulldog ish....if I’m wrong please tell me I just wanted some other insight clarification and discussion. Thanks

3 hours ago, drmevo said:

I’m not sure I understand the question/scenario, but if a better spot opens up because the tide has dropped, why aren’t you already there? 

Wasn’t a better spot there’s plenty of room for 4 or five knowledgeable fisherman.....the point and question was that the spot had not opened...and the positioning felt forced.  Really all good i expect it there....hoped maybe the unwritten niceties still existed 

6 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

I'm guessing you are biasing this on the premise that you got there first and should be entitled to the "new" spot as it appears.

So what if the new guy waits until you move down but you never do? Why should he not be able to go because you are not moving? Just questions biased on my initial assumption. As they say, food for thought. 

That’s not the bases of it at all....its everyone’s fishery to maintain and respect....maybe I’m old school salty or both. Just checking the thoughts. Thanks 

Plugger I think I know the spot or at least a similar one, and it’s sounds like you got cut off. I sometimes go out further in front of people there but I stay way over to the side so there’s no way I get in there way. As the tide goes out, I keep pushing out and over as to not restrict the guys that were already there. It can be tough fishing popular good spots and I rarely go anymore. To me, the right thing to do when approaching a spot is either ask the guys already there if your in the way, or make sure your out of their way. 

52 mins ago, Bmackerel said:

Plugger I think I know the spot or at least a similar one, and it’s sounds like you got cut off. I sometimes go out further in front of people there but I stay way over to the side so there’s no way I get in there way. As the tide goes out, I keep pushing out and over as to not restrict the guys that were already there. It can be tough fishing popular good spots and I rarely go anymore. To me, the right thing to do when approaching a spot is either ask the guys already there if your in the way, or make sure your out of their way. 

Bmac I’m sure you know of where I speak....it’s really all good I fish it the same way you describe.  I go there at obscene hours in summer and do quite well....alone.  It’s just within miles of my house and the neighborhood I grew up.  I’m partial to it.....love seeing it fished fairly....maybe it’s the young child in my house lack of sleep or too much work.  But today was definitely one of those times I got rubbed the wrong way...all good soon enough the fishing will be wide open and all our spots will produce!

If they didn't observe your casting and proceeded to step into your line of casting then they would be in the wrong. 

If you saw them coming and didn't reposition yourself so as to take advantage of how the water was going to drop then you can't get mad at them.  

Pretty sure I know where you're talking about.  It looked like Montauk out there Tuesday morning...  Got there around 5:15am and there were seven guys there already.  Wind was brutal (especially to a newbie fly guy such as myself!).

Every year I like that spot less and less because of its easy accessibility. Soon enough they'll be off the beaches and more spots open up that are more difficult to access. 

Good Luck!

Ethics you will not find it there, I know that spot quite well.   Well I think last year was my last trip there when I got there and I counted 27 guys. I have seen  seen better ethics in New York State on the Salmon River fishing for Steelhead.  And it's just the start of the season, wait to July you will be lucky to find a parking spot.

You got mugged, for the most part (my own past experience) in the Seacoast and Southern Maine coast the only people that crossed the line were the total amateurs of surf casting, flip flops on slick rocks and K-mart set ups with god knows what attached to the line. Over the past few years I haven't had anyone who appears to know what they are doing just blatantly set up or cast in my way. It's all about playing well in the sandbox  !