Reed422

Cross Wind

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

depends on some specific location for me, but a few things that work better in the wind for me are

buck tails/metals- they hold their spot in the water really good

loaded stubby needle fished kinda like a bucktail

depending on how hard its blowing and how fast the current is usually swimmers with a lip that can dig in will work

sometimes the wind/current is just to much for the gear you have

I try and stop my cast on the dime, pick up slack quick, and keep rod tip down to keep the line from bowing

if its not working out for me, then i will move

Posted (edited) · Report post

Whatever I want but would hold the rod tip underwater during retrieve eliminating the effect of the cross wind on the line Otherwise the cross wind will cause the lure to skip on the surface as the cross wind grabs the line causing lure parasailing

Edited by SC

Yea punch it low , come tight as it hits water , I like heavier bucks or tins  , let them drag the bottom hard atleast the first few feet , really helps straighten things out and give ya more control on retrieve.. and sometimes dragging it really gets them going anyways .. but also sometimes a big popper in a cross wind can fish well .. like said almost anything can be , just takes alil modifying of how you fish it 

If given the opportunity I’d fish the lee side.

If not: SS bottles, Pikies, and then an old 3oz Atom Atomizer during the day.  

I’d also let the line pass through my fingers on the cast and then snatch the plug the out of the wind, and hopefully fishing a spot that doesn’t require a long cast.  

Day or night the first plug out of my bag in a cross wind is the either the 2 3/8oz or the 2 3/4oz super strike popper. The cup face creates a lot of resistance in the water and cuts down on slack, allowing you to stay in contact. Casts a mile and punches right through wind.

If I'm in bad crosswind and getting a lot of bow in the line I feather the coils of line with my casting finger at the end of the cast to help straighten out.  Then stop the cast just before it hits the water.  Drop rod tip to keep wind off as much line as possible. If that dont work I move.... Usually to the beer cooler.

When the wind is really honking I will throw a 3oz buck tail with a teaser or an Ava with a teaser. Throw it out and let it sweep. When the surf is pushing along the beach fish are often in tight to the beach on the down current side of any point, it doesn’t have to be very big. I’ve had several really good days when it was blowing “too hard” and more sane people stayed in bed.

Since I don’t think it necessary for a lure to arrive perpendicular to the shore, I often cast at an angle - with the wind. This results in a bit more distance, maybe more of a sweep during retrieval and, I think, better mimics actual bait that swims parallel to the shore. 

Of course, if you are shoulder-to-shoulder this wouldn’t work.