SnoozeFishing

NJ Spring Run

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was blessed with an abundance of big bass this spring. 0 skunks, only 2 fish under 28" so far this season. Several dozen bass between 15 and 40 lbs. All caught on large plugs around bunker. All of my fishing has been between dusk and dawn. All fish were released.

All that changed when the mass of giant bluefish arrived. Haven't seen a bass since, even on those late night tides. 

Edited by SIC34
Sp

1 hour ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Wheres the book lol 

Somewhere in the back of my pick up amongst the hot stank eel slime, bunker juice and blood, bass scales, sand, plugs, lead, etc...

The point that @hobobob was trying to make is that you got to move until you find them. When you find them you gotta hammer them until you're satisfied. Some guys get satisfied after one good night. Others, like myself, will never be satisfied.

If you want to consistantly catch good fish, you have to lose sleep.

With that said... Im off to Ohio for some good music, good mountain biking, and plenty of space between me and NJ to help clear my head. Time to come up with a new game plan for the second half of the spring season.

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

One of the cool things that made the spring run epic would be the afternoon bunker blitzes. People used to take off  a week to fish the spring during the day.  I don't think that exists any more.  

17 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

One of the cool things that made the spring run epic would be the afternoon bunker blitzes. People used to take off  a week to fish the spring during the day.  I don't think that exists any more.  

Didn't know how good we had it during the crazy bunker days, maybe 2003 till Sandy hit, though the years leading up to Sandy saw a bit of a decline. Get out of work, find the bunker and climb out on some rocks, catch until dark, and repeat the whole mess the next day, amidst all that you could still catch decent fish by just picking a beach and blind casting, nowadays if you are not casting at fish that are on the feed, it's almost a waste of time.This applies to Mon Co beaches, I haven't figured out the Raritan bay Springtime yet.

There is still the perfect storm scenario. Northeaster in late april and may that aligned with the moon tide. 30-40mph wind, horizontal rain. rushing current.

7 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

I'm not fishing a beach replenishment beach it's a park. This fishery is going downhill. I change spots all the time, I consider myself a fairly competent bucktail fishermen and have landed plenty of big fish with my techniques but I can't catch what's not there. Usually there multiple reports of people catching 5+ bass on a single outing I'm not seeing that this year. Mostly just the random bunker slinger with a 30+ inch bass. How much time is left to land a decent bass this spring?

Get a boat and you will be crushing them.  Then you could tell everyone else who noticed differences in the patterns that they are wrong, and that there are plenty of fish out there.

Dont forget to freeze a bunch and give some to friends for later in the year when there may not be any.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, SIC34 said:

I was blessed with an abundance of big bass this spring. 0 skunks, only 2 fish under 28" so far this season. Several dozen bass between 15 and 40 lbs. All caught on large plugs around bunker. All of my fishing has been between dusk and dawn. All fish were released.

(all previous sarcasm aside, thats awesome)

Edited by 55555s

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

Get a boat and you will be crushing them.  Then you could tell everyone else who noticed differences in the patterns that they are wrong, and that there are plenty of fish out there.

Dont forget to freeze a bunch and give some to friends for later in the year when there may not be any.

I have a boat lol I only fluke fish off the boat, fluke I keep, bass go back like them too much. 

3 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Somewhere in the back of my pick up amongst the hot stank eel slime, bunker juice and blood, bass scales, sand, plugs, lead, etc...

The point that @hobobob was trying to make is that you got to move until you find them. When you find them you gotta hammer them until you're satisfied. Some guys get satisfied after one good night. Others, like myself, will never be satisfied.

With that said... Im off to Ohio for some good music, good mountain biking, and plenty of space between me and NJ to help clear my head. Time to come up with a new game plan for the second half of the spring season.

Yeah my idea of moving around is walking miles on the same beach every day. I guess I should start getting in the car and exploring I put the time in and lose alot of sleep, just hasn't lined up for me in awhile. Will be going north tonight see if I can track them down will report back. 

4 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

you got to move until you find them. When you find them you gotta hammer them until you're satisfied. Some guys get satisfied after one good night. Others, like myself, will never be satisfied.

Pretty much sums it up!!:th:

11 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

I'm not fishing a beach replenishment beach it's a park. This fishery is going downhill. I change spots all the time, I consider myself a fairly competent bucktail fishermen and have landed plenty of big fish with my techniques but I can't catch what's not there. Usually there multiple reports of people catching 5+ bass on a single outing I'm not seeing that this year. Mostly just the random bunker slinger with a 30+ inch bass. How much time is left to land a decent bass this spring?

Your pain is real and spot on, the fishery is in bad shape and it wears you down. Good news is, historically, from now till about the 3rd week of June, trophy bass will be in our waters, Ocean and Monmouth County, rivers, bays and oceanside.  Time to put some time in if you can and want. Bunker Heads are the best bet if you can stand it, I cannot, so fish live or rigged  eels until the blues start.  It would be nice to see some sort of evidence that there are fish around, cuz' they aren't eating.

All I can say is keep grinding bro. I've only been able to make it to the salt a few times this year and have managed to get a handful of fish, but it hasn't been easy.

Another 4 trips in the bag night and day the skunk continues. Did catch a 3 ft dog fish with a bucktail and a couple gator blues. Line sides nowhere I'm fishing lol. 

20190522_214515.jpg

20190523_203031.jpg