Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kakaryan

LCSG stripper size for conventional rod?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi, my first post here. 

So I am rebuilding an old 14' conventional surf rod and am going to replace the old guides with better Fuji LCSG. Reel used would be the Shimano Calcutta Conquest 401.

I ordered some LCSG, from #20 down to #6. I read that Fuji suggested the #20 for stripper guide for spinning rod and I have ordered one anyway. When I received it the #20 seems a bit too tall to go with the baitcaster. What do you think? Would you suggest the #20 or the #16 for stripper guide? 

I checked my other baitcast 7'6" 1~3oz Swimbait rod which uses the LCSG #16 as stripper. So I think the #16 should work but for a longer surf rod I am not sure if it is better to go bigger? I will be using braid anyway.

Thanks. 

LCSG #20 back and #16 front.

FB_IMG_1558491709045.jpg

you dont want to go higher than is needed because that will create more torque. since you have them tape them on bend the hell out of the rod and see which one you need. i think either ring size will be fine for that reel

I used a KW12 as a stripper on my last spiral conventional build and it worked out great, I think any ring size between 10-20 will work but as previously mentioned don't go too tall, just high enough to clear the grip/hand under load. 

I'm intrigued about the reel, having never held one.

Is the level wind a non-disengaging type?

What is distance from reel foot to top edge of line guide?

Calcutta Conquest.jpg

I retract the question regarding synchronized level wind, checked the Shimano site.

Still would like to know the height.

This is a personal preference question. Like apples and oranges.

Only you can give this answer. It's done with experience and time put in.

These guides can be used dual rung.

The foot print will beef up your rod.

The super light titanium frames are also very brittle.

LC frames are a longstanding choice of heavy surf rod builders looking for strength and durability in big rods that take a beating. Long sweeping frame legs add a measure of tangle resistance and when faced with single leg forward on the stripper they provide a smooth casting surf set up.

In the tournament casting sense, the conventional K-guide train (not LC) is built opposite the spline.

For the reason that the rod is so beastly.

image_redirect.php?i=3412097