FatTailWagging

Plugging blank for pier use - recommendation needed

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking for a 2-piece blank that will cast plugs well and have enough backbone to be a good pier rod. The ODM Frontier X 9’6” is what I am thinking but I would like some similar length alternatives to consider please (less expensive would be nice too).

We fish for grouper by floating lipped, floating, diving plugs (like a Rapala XRap Magnum 20, 1.5 ounces) out with the tide about 50 to 100 yards out to piles of rubble. The grouper go up to about 35” max but fight like hell and dive into the rocks if you aren’t on top of your game. You have to horse them in as fast as possible. Otherwise,  it’s tug of war till you get them out or break off (60# braid and 100# flouro leader). I am currently using an old school 8’ glass boat rod, extended at the butt to 9’ with a 3/0 Senator or a magged Squidder with upgraded drag and shaft for this. It works well but casts like a broom stick. 

By casting well, I could save a lot of time getting my lure out to the rock piles (as opposed to just floating with the current) and effectively use soft plastics too.

9’ so I can have my line clear the bridge structure when fish run underneath.

My plan is to build a rod that will cast well and still make a good pier rod and maybe get used for snook and tarpon fishing from time to time. Tops on my list is a conventional ODM Frontier X 9’6” with an Akios 656.

What other blanks am I overlooking? Shipping costs mandate a two piece blank (I’m in Florida).

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

Edited by FatTailWagging

I know you asked for a 2 piece and more of a surf blank but if you wanted to go shorter the Rodgeeks XCOMP 8ft is only $20 to ship (blank comes from Mexico) but is one piece. The 805 is a beast of a rod, I just built a spiral wrapped conventional 804 and 805 for plugging. The 805 overhand casts 5oz metal lips with plenty of horsepower left in the tank! The 804 is happiest with 2-4oz (which is what it's rated for) to give you an idea. I think the 805 would be a better fit for what you're doing but I'm sure a longer surf blank would work great as well. 

Check out the 9' Century Surf Machine and 9' Kevlar Noreaster,  both would do well on the pier. Capable of big distance,  lots of power.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, AFMike said:

Check out the 9' Century Surf Machine and 9' Kevlar Noreaster,  both would do well on the pier. Capable of big distance,  lots of power.

Can you share with me the actual lure weight ratings and blank weights of these two blanks in the 9’~9.5’ range? I can’t find them on the interwebs. Are you confident these will snatch a gag grouper out of a rockpile with a locked down drag without failing (assuming I don’t high stick it)? I appreciate that this sounds a little crazy, but it is the nature of this particular spot I am building the rod for. The technique is to literally sprint backward five or ten feet when a fish hits to snatch them away from the rocks quickly and then reel like hell to get them to the pier before the dolphin get them, all against a moderate (3~4 knot current).

On 6/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, FatTailWagging said:

Can you share with me the actual lure weight ratings and blank weights of these two blanks in the 9’~9.5’ range? I can’t find them on the interwebs. Are you confident these will snatch a gag grouper out of a rockpile with a locked down drag without failing (assuming I don’t high stick it)? I appreciate that this sounds a little crazy, but it is the nature of this particular spot I am building the rod for. The technique is to literally sprint backward five or ten feet when a fish hits to snatch them away from the rocks quickly and then reel like hell to get them to the pier before the dolphin get them, all against a moderate (3~4 knot current).

Yes, both blanks would excel at what your doing. They are rated 3/4 to 4oz and will crush 1.5oz. The Surf Machine has a Textreme finish which gives additional fish fighting power and makes the exterior of the blank extremely durable.  You can bang it around and not worry about nicking it or anything. 

The Kevlar Noreaster has a pure carbon butt with a Kevlar sleeve giving added power and durability,  the tip section is fiberglass but the glass is run with a structural resin giving it the lightness and performance if carbon fiber with the durability of fiberglass,  this rod can be high sticked.

Both blanks are 9' and both are 70/30 split. 

3 hours ago, AFMike said:

Yes, both blanks would excel at what your doing. They are rated 3/4 to 4oz and will crush 1.5oz. The Surf Machine has a Textreme finish which gives additional fish fighting power and makes the exterior of the blank extremely durable.  You can bang it around and not worry about nicking it or anything. 

The Kevlar Noreaster has a pure carbon butt with a Kevlar sleeve giving added power and durability,  the tip section is fiberglass but the glass is run with a structural resin giving it the lightness and performance if carbon fiber with the durability of fiberglass,  this rod can be high sticked.

Both blanks are 9' and both are 70/30 split. 

What are the blank weights?

1 hour ago, FatTailWagging said:

What are the blank weights?

The Noreaster weighs 8oz, the SM 7oz

Keep in mind, these blanks were designed to be abused, wt was not a concern so within the Century world these blanks are a bit heavier. They are very easy to cast, capable of big distance.