coastalfreak

Calling All Vintage Reel Enthusiast!!!

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm definitely not an expert on vintage gear, but I really want to get there eventually. 

In the mean time, I have two new reels y'all might be interested in. I was hoping to get some potential eras of production, history, quality, etc.  

The conventional reel is a Senator and the Spinning Reel is a Mitchell. 

IMG_6880.jpg

IMG_6875 (1).jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

The senator may have been made yesterday

seriously, not that old at all

edit:  potentially.  Made them forever.

Edited by makorider

2 mins ago, makorider said:

The senator may have been made yesterday

seriously, not that old at all

edit:  potentially.  Made them forever.

It's been sitting in my granddad's basement forever, and he doesn't fish. It was either his dad's or grandfather's. 

40 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

I'm definitely not an expert on vintage gear, but I really want to get there eventually. 

In the mean time, I have two new reels y'all might be interested in. I was hoping to get some potential eras of production, history, quality, etc.  

The conventional reel is a Senator and the Spinning Reel is a Mitchell. 

IMG_6880.jpg

IMG_6875 (1).jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

I would do some more research but I think that with the older senators you can tell by the handle and part markings among other things. If I had to guess I would say pre 1950? 

Edited by Big Will

Thats a Mitchell 300 I have one as well. They were made in france around the early 50s to late 80s I would say by the bakelite handle yours is an older model. They are not worth much but they are fortunately very well made and spare parts are easy to find on ebay. Clean it up inside out grease it and you will have a very nice reel for bass fishing (thats what I use mine for). As for the Penn senator not worth much either but it is a great boat/shark reel. Strip the old line off clean it and use it enjoy them.

Here is a link with dates for the Mitchell 300

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/Content/mitchell-reel-models-made-1939-1989.html

Unless I'm mistaken, there were more Mitchell 300s made than any other reel.  Not rare, not valuable, but cool and still functional.  I still use a few sizes of the old Mitchells because I think they're cool.  Clean it off and give it a whirl.  Both those reels will probably outlast most of us.

9 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

It's been sitting in my granddad's basement forever, and he doesn't fish. It was either his dad's or grandfather's. 

Your 4/0 Senator was made in the mid 50s or very early 60s at the latest.

Penn began using part numbers on their parts in 1950.

The one piece spool came along in 1954 (im assuming thats what you have)

In the early to mid 60s they changed the headplate stamp to read 113 instead of 4/0 and the tailplate design changed.

I don't think that 300 is that old. the first ones I remember had a half bail wire going across  If I remember you could do it manual. 

the body of the reel was more rounded.

The handle is old and I don't remember seeing that type of handle on the reel in the early days. It had a shorter stubby one. That handle may be form a different reel .  That was the type handle on a 400 Mitchell

Looks like the salt or moisture got to it. maybe out in the garage?  They were the number one reel for many years. I had at lease ten or more over the years

I still have about a half doz. 400 around and still use them today. 

Just keep it clean or the chrome will start to pit and turn green. I would strip that mono off of it and clean the spool. Most spool corrosion happens on the first layers of line where saltwater gets trapped. I use Brasso polish on my chrome parts but most any metal polish will do.

Pretty reel! 

Edited by 1badf350

Mitchell 300s desintegrate quickly when used in salt water and may need meticulous maintainence in that environment. Those reels were a clinic for galvanic corrosion. 

Its a bass reel, great for lakes, rivers, ponds, and could be fished today, after a good cleaning. I still use my dad's.  Between him and I on that reel, we are into hundreds of fish.  I am surprised the bakelite hasn't disintegrated or cracked.

If you are planning on using it, order a new handle, and keep that one in a box.  Take it apart, re-grease and oil it, and then go fishing. Thank your grandad for the reel. 

I believe that reel to be at the latest around 52 by the fact that the 300

is not engraved on the side plate and the handle is round.  I was given

my first in 53 or 54 as a birthday gift and it came with 2 spools, large

capacity and large arbor, with a screw top canister for the extra spool and a velvet bag for the reel.  The handle was a paddle type.

3 hours ago, 1badf350 said:

Your 4/0 Senator was made in the mid 50s or very early 60s at the latest.

Penn began using part numbers on their parts in 1950.

The one piece spool came along in 1954 (im assuming thats what you have)

In the early to mid 60s they changed the headplate stamp to read 113 instead of 4/0 and the tailplate design changed.

what year did they goto black side plates? i have a 4/0 thats maroon plates, basically new condition with box

The senator is in great condition and they are very durable reels and still very fishable. Sounds like a family reel and a great keepsake. The Mitchell is rough and they made millions of them so collector value is minimal. However the handle knob that is on it is not a Mitchell. I think it was originally on a vintage conventional casting reel. It is a long shot but some of the parts for the old reels are very desirable. You might but a picture of the knob on a vintage fishing sight and see if someone can identify it.