EricM

Conditions look good Wednesday Raritan bay...

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Conditions look good Wednesday Raritan bay. Anyone want to meet up after work? 

Edited by EricM

I'm taking my cousin out Weds late afternoon.  It will be his first kayak fishing outing.  Hopefully, we'll get into some of those big blues, it will blow his mind.

We'll be launching at around 5pm.  Did you guys launch from Union or Keyport?

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, EricM said:

I'm closer to Keyport. Let's PM for specifics though. 

Blue were active in the Keyport area this morning.  I am going out of Cedar street around 5pm.  

John . On Radio 71  Towards Cliffwood.   Dune colored Pro Angler 12.

Edited by jlapenta

44 mins ago, jlapenta said:

Blue were active in the Keyport area this morning.  I am going out of Cedar street around 5pm.  

John . On Radio 71  Towards Cliffwood.   Dune colored Pro Angler 12.

I'll be there between 5:30 and 6pm. See you on the water. Radio 71 Eric. 

I was on the SI shore at 3 pm, figuring I could hit the fluke too. But there was not enough wind or current for a drift. Lots of bunker around, the blues, in a variety of sizes, came and went intermittently. I really, really suck at snag and drop. They always seem to sneak it off, no matter where I reset the hook. I did better with plastic swimmers.

20 mins ago, gellfex said:

I was on the SI shore at 3 pm, figuring I could hit the fluke too. But there was not enough wind or current for a drift. Lots of bunker around, the blues, in a variety of sizes, came and went intermittently. I really, really suck at snag and drop. They always seem to sneak it off, no matter where I reset the hook. I did better with plastic swimmers.

Any signs of fluke Gell?

5 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Any signs of fluke Gell?

None. I only took a couple of drifts once the wind picked up near dusk. South wind there sucks, it's got the whole bay to build up chop. There were a few boats further out that looked like they could have been fluking.

6 mins ago, gellfex said:

None. I only took a couple of drifts once the wind picked up near dusk. South wind there sucks, it's got the whole bay to build up chop. There were a few boats further out that looked like they could have been fluking.

Thanks, all signs point to the continual decline of RB fluking...at least the traditional early season shot of fish in that area. 

3 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Thanks, all signs point to the continual decline of RB fluking...at least the traditional early season shot of fish in that area. 

I think it is still early for full blast fluke fishing...my log shows my first productive fluke trip in early June last season ...I will probably try this weekend somewhere in RB  ...go after fluke first, at the same time look for signs of bass and if nothing works go on and catch some blues..

If weather cooperates I'm going to give it another shot at the blues, I did not get enough for a smoker load. That's usually 4 between 7 & 10 lb. Are there bunker on the south side? It's funny how I've sometimes done better on the blues with no bunker around to distract them.