Paul E

Has your father ever tried to kill you?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

My dad, a great man whom I miss terribly, would on occasion do some reckless things. 

Two immediately come to mind. 

Once we arrived at the Niantic River, back when it was truly a fishing port with rentals and lots of commercial fishing boats. We arrived in the dark and got ready to set-up. Back then, this meant getting a spot next to other anglers - each with a Coleman lantern hung from a pole and burning all night. Dad’s job was to fish (was there even a size limit then?) my job was to flip stones looking for crabs and worms for free bait. As part of the set-up we doused ourselves with bug spray. This night my skin started to scream as the spray was applied. He’d grabbed, from the cabinet under the sink: not Off but EasyOff. As I remember, it still worked. 

Second. Growing-up I panfished every chance I got. Often I could get worms, night crawlers and red wrigglers from the compost pile. Of course when the weather was right, grass cut low and dew on the ground I could crawl about with a flashlight in my mouth and sneak up on nightcrawlers. 

However, I also had a tool he built me. It was a long extension cord with some modifications. One prong of the plug (the negative?) was cut off. The other end was had the plug entirely removed and the live wire was soldered into the end of a split copper grounding rod. Stick the rod in the ground, plug it in and every worm and any other living creature would rise from the ground and try to climb the tallest blade of grass.  Worked even with a bit of frozen soil.  Then I’d just walk around and pick-up the nightcrawlers and worms. On early mornings with wet-with-dew grass you could feel the tingle right through your sneakers.  My younger brother grabbed the rod once, I had to unplug it in order to get his hand free.  He didn’t try a second time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

he wanted, enraged

dozens of times

but never actualy hit me

Edited by glos

Did he want to? I'm sure more than once, as a kid, I inspired the thought to cross his mind.

Did he try intentionally? No.

Did he try unintentionally? Maybe.

Back in the good old days of the 70s my father would often drive with a beer always between his legs.

My mother & father would both smoked like chimneys in the car. Hopefully the 2nd hand smoke didn't cause permanent damage.  :) 

My father did many dumb things that didn't kill me or my two siblings.

Edited by zak-striper

I don't know if a body slam and a hand around the throat until I stopped running my 16 year old mouth counts but at the time I thought he was trying to kill me. It was called tough love back then and that $hit worked. Raising 5 boys and 3 girls in the 60's - 70's was hard work he had to stay in shape for all them @ss whippings. We all laugh about it now but none of us ended up in a bad place in life.

My father would get so angry when drunk and high at 2am he would chase you with the belt.  He would not swing the leather he would swing the buckle. I use to bring friends over and show them the chips off the door when he would swing at the head and I would duck. You could see over the years  how I got taller and then I started fighting back.  At 10 took 22 stitches to the eye from the buckle. Still see that scar over my eye. After 13 he never tried that **** again.

Brings chills up my spine thinking about the beatings my sister and  l took from that man. Mom too...god rest her soul.  

I can’t believe he didn’t kill one of us or all of us in a rage. He really took out his anger on us. 

Edited by The Riddler

6 hours ago, Paul E said:

My dad, a great man whom I miss terribly, would on occasion do some reckless things. 

Two immediately come to mind. 

Once we arrived at the Niantic River, back when it was truly a fishing port with rentals and lots of commercial fishing boats. We arrived in the dark and got ready to set-up. Back then, this meant getting a spot next to other anglers - each with a Coleman lantern hung from a pole and burning all night. Dad’s job was to fish (was there even a size limit then?) my job was to flip stones looking for crabs and worms for free bait. As part of the set-up we doused ourselves with bug spray. This night my skin started to scream as the spray was applied. He’d grabbed, from the cabinet under the sink: not Off but EasyOff. As I remember, it still worked. 

Second. Growing-up I panfished every chance I got. Often I could get worms, night crawlers and red wrigglers from the compost pile. Of course when the weather was right, grass cut low and dew on the ground I could crawl about with a flashlight in my mouth and sneak up on nightcrawlers. 

However, I also had a tool he built me. It was a long extension cord with some modifications. One prong of the plug (the negative?) was cut off. The other end was had the plug entirely removed and the live wire was soldered into the end of a split copper grounding rod. Stick the rod in the ground, plug it in and every worm and any other living creature would rise from the ground and try to climb the tallest blade of grass.  Worked even with a bit of frozen soil.  Then I’d just walk around and pick-up the nightcrawlers and worms. On early mornings with wet-with-dew grass you could feel the tingle right through your sneakers.  My younger brother grabbed the rod once, I had to unplug it in order to get his hand free.  He didn’t try a second time. 

That is seriously funny...Easy OFF! :)

I will never forget when I was a twelve year old ( 68 years ago ) my father was not happy I could not swim. We where out in his boat about three miles off Sandy Hook and he decides it was time for me to learn to swim so he thru me overboard.

When I finally got out of that burlap bag it was easy!

J:wag:n

Edited by J Wagen

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

My father would get so angry when drunk and high at 2am he would chase you with the belt.  He would not swing the leather he would swing the buckle. I use to bring friends over and show them the chips off the door when he would swing at the head and I would duck. You could see over the years  how I got taller and then I started fighting back.  At 10 took 22 stitches to the eye from the buckle. Still see that scar over my eye. After 13 he never tried that **** again.

Brings chills up my spine thinking about the beatings my sister and  l took from that man. Mom too...god rest her soul.  

I can’t believe he didn’t kill one of us or all of us in a rage. He really took out his anger on us. 

man i don't even know what to say about that....nobody deserves that $hit...the world is not a fair place

Grew up with the best Father anyone could imagine, truly blessed, that being said we had a few hair raising trips running both Moriches and later Shinnecock inlets!! Character building experiences to say the least.:rav:

He chucked a solid glass ash tray at me once but I ducked and it hit the wall. I escaped through the basement out into the alleyway. I was probably 15 and mouthing off. He was probably 4-5 Shafers into a Philly's game and just had enough of my chit. He was a good man, 20 years in Coast Guard and never wanted me to enlist or go to nam. 

Miss my Dad everyday. Got a few good smacks growing

up. Nothing drastic. Lotta punishments. But he beat the

friggin balls off my brother one time.