Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achase

TICK CHECK!!!

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know you know this but please don't slack on the tick checks!

I just pulled two of the tiniest ticks I've ever seen off my wife. So small that their legs were not visible so they just looked like the smallest blood spots or scabs (like when you get poked by a thorn, kinda). 

Smith Point area but I'm sure they're all over...

Andrew

Edited by achase
typo

Its crazy. No matter where you go they seem to find you. You are correct they are so tiny 

Ticks have larval stages, and they have to feed at each stage.  I'm not sure which stage it is (larva/nymph) but it's easy to miss them when they're small.  I was walking from a dock across a park to get back to a lot at Mecca, and I got to the car and pulled off my boots the Mecca trifecta, a deer, a dog and a Lone Star tick.  This was after spraying DEET and walking across a path with little to no vegetation.  I was about to pull my door shut and I noticed one of the tiny ones, very small, like a brown sugar crystal crawling on the armrest where I would've rested my arm.  How the little bassturd got there I'll never know but I was glad I spotted it when I did.  I was both astounded and pissed, and then as I was dispatching them, I looked back at the park and saw folks with their dogs, a wedding party doing a photo shoot, and kids running around the grassy area, and I doubt any of them were treated or aware of what's in the grass.  I took the adults on a piece of paper over to one of the dudes in a tux and mentioned they should all check themselves very closely and sure enough the women all had the baby ticks all over their stockings. 

After that I invested in Premethrin and haven't had a tick occurrence since.  I know some may think it's bad for waders etc., but considering what you can get from the ticks I don't care.  And I check very closely when I come back to the car after hitting the suds.  It's not just Mecca, I've seen this on both Forks of the Island, and on the Cape.  I've been out a long time but when my old Guard unit would do Camp Edwards on the Cape, they had crazy ticks back in the '80s, before we'd see that at the NY facilities like Camp Smith, etc. 

The larval stage is the smallest stage and only has 6 legs.  It has been widely believed that the larval stage will not spread any diseases, but that is still being studied.  Lyme disease ( bacterial spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi ) has never been shown to be capable of transovarian (adult to eggs) transmission but a close relative, spirochete  Borrelia miyamotoi, is believed to be able to be transmitted to eggs from infected adults.  The disease caused by that spirochete is more closely related to relapsing fever than Lyme disease, but can be carried by deer ticks.

When the little creatures get past our twice daily tick checks, we always carefully remove the embedded ticks with very sharp, precise tweezers -being careful to remove the entire tick by grasping the mouthparts (a magnifier works well for this).  We have always believed that if this nasty creature had only 6 legs (larval stage) we had nothing to worry about so never gave it a second thought.  Now we need to rethink that.

In the past few years, the lone star tick has been the most abundant tick to find us,  even more than deer ticks.  They are very FAST crawlers and I often mistake the feeling as an ant when I feel it crawling on me.  Only the adult females have the white dot on their back.  The other stages are tough to tell the difference from deer ticks.  The speed with which they crawl and my wife says they have a stronger grasp on her skin when they crawl - these are differences that we have experienced.  The lone star tick is also very aggressive and if a nest of larvae or nymphs is disturbed a whole bunch can get on you at once.  This only happened to me once, in beach grass on the North Fork and it was scary as hell. The lone star tick can infect hosts with an animal protein that can cause a delayed (later at night) allergic reaction to any meat products.  I personally know at least 6 people who have developed this allergy and can not eat any meat products at all (poultry and seafood is OK).  Transmission can happen shortly after the bite, unlike Lyme.

We just ordered the permethrin impregnated "no fly zone" socks, pants and shirts from LL Bean.. They have had excellent reviews with keeping all ticks off and are good for 70 washes.  I now spray my boots with a dilute permethrin solution about once a month.  As valleygoog mentioned above, Permethrin has been found to be extremely effective against ticks. We also take other precautions against these little devils!  

Anyone try these clothes from LL Bean?

As achase has indicated....  Be sure to do your daily tick checks! 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:10 AM, valleygoog said:

Ticks have larval stages, and they have to feed at each stage.  I'm not sure which stage it is (larva/nymph) but it's easy to miss them when they're small.  I was walking from a dock across a park to get back to a lot at Mecca, and I got to the car and pulled off my boots the Mecca trifecta, a deer, a dog and a Lone Star tick.  This was after spraying DEET and walking across a path with little to no vegetation.  I was about to pull my door shut and I noticed one of the tiny ones, very small, like a brown sugar crystal crawling on the armrest where I would've rested my arm.  How the little bassturd got there I'll never know but I was glad I spotted it when I did.  I was both astounded and pissed, and then as I was dispatching them, I looked back at the park and saw folks with their dogs, a wedding party doing a photo shoot, and kids running around the grassy area, and I doubt any of them were treated or aware of what's in the grass.  I took the adults on a piece of paper over to one of the dudes in a tux and mentioned they should all check themselves very closely and sure enough the women all had the baby ticks all over their stockings. 

After that I invested in Premethrin and haven't had a tick occurrence since.  I know some may think it's bad for waders etc., but considering what you can get from the ticks I don't care.  And I check very closely when I come back to the car after hitting the suds.  It's not just Mecca, I've seen this on both Forks of the Island, and on the Cape.  I've been out a long time but when my old Guard unit would do Camp Edwards on the Cape, they had crazy ticks back in the '80s, before we'd see that at the NY facilities like Camp Smith, etc. 

Just sprayed all our jackets/waders, etc. with Permethrin, as I do every spring. Going to the Cape to fish in a couple of weeks and know, the ticks are all over. Permethrin kills as soon as the tick lands on what we're wearing. All good. Sawyer is the brand name.

Great advice! The nymphal ticks are most commonly associated with Lyme disease (most active in late spring/early summer). Ticks are best removed with tweezers with steady pressure but do no puncture the actual tick! Be sure to get checked by your primary care doc if you see a bullseye rash!

Permethrin is said to be safe for clothing if sprayed on and left to air dry. We have sprayed our waders twice now and see no damage. They are still waterproof and breathable and fabric looks the same.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:20 AM, achase said:

I know you know this but please don't slack on the tick checks!

I just pulled two of the tiniest ticks I've ever seen off my wife. So small that their legs were not visible so they just looked like the smallest blood spots or scabs (like when you get poked by a thorn, kinda). 

Smith Point area but I'm sure they're all over...

Andrew

hope all is good bud and yes very bad year..

Hey buddy. Just thinking about you yesterday when I was at Crossbay Bridge. No fish but the place could use a clean-up :)  Hope all is well. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gentleman&Ladies: Reading this post with interest. Looked up product and it states it safe&effective to use on dogs (toxic to cats). Has anyone used it on their dog? We currently give LuLu the oral medicine.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mikemontauk
spelling

12 hours ago, mikemontauk said:

Gentleman&Ladies: Reading this post with interest. Looked up product and it states it safe&effective to use on dogs (toxic to cats). Has anyone used it on their dog? We currently give LuLu the oral medicine.

Cheers,

Mike

Seresto collar on the dog. Best thing we’ve ever used for ticks.