Paul E

Dum dum...dum dum...dum dum...dum dum dum dum

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Been all over the internet, the original info came from Ocearch and it pinged right off of Greenwich.

5/21 update. 

The latest pings, around 9:30 a.m., Tuesday, May 21, show he is southwest of Montauk, according to researchers at ocean research group Ocearch.org . It had been tracked off the shore of Fairfield County in Greenwich.

So I see 3 pings 5/20 around 10am off greenwich CT, then the next ping is on the south side of LI inside of Jones Island on the same day at 8 pm. So It must have swam the East River right?

1 hour ago, nateD said:

So I see 3 pings 5/20 around 10am off greenwich CT, then the next ping is on the south side of LI inside of Jones Island on the same day at 8 pm. So It must have swam the East River right?

Good point!

15 hours ago, nateD said:

A Great White swims where ever it wants.

3 hours ago, thebigangrybear said:

This is pure baloney.

Like you think it is fake? Or that people are going nuts for no reason because we've always had sharks? If nothing else I think it is interesting, the tracker is pretty cool.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't buy it... not for a second.  I am not saying OCEARCH is outright lying, but at the very least they sure seem fine accepting a data anomaly without any verification.  There is also a history of misreads... like fish showing up on land.  

The chances of this actually happening, the fish traveling distance over time and the speeds necessary to leave those pings are much less likely than the chances of an equipment malfunction.  What is the effective range of the GPS ping, is it 9 feet, 9 miles?  It would make a lot more sense if that fish was on the other side of LI.

Also, don't sleep on the fact that this fish tale was the week before the biggest beach holiday and in the single most expensive zip code in the US.  OCEARCH has already stated that the donations have been pouring in and the increased traffic has been crashing their website.  This was the top story on every news channel in CT and NY last night.  I don't have a high opinion of the work these guys do... they are a non-profit, but they sure seem to be big on ego and fame.  

Edited by thebigangrybear

I just mapped it on google earth.....last ping off Greenwich was at 10:49am on the 20th, next ping was inside Great South Bay at 8:07pm that evening.  Most direct path between those two points is 80 miles.....in 9 hours and 18 minutes.  That's an 8.6mph average speed.  I think not.

1 hour ago, thebigangrybear said:

I don't buy it... not for a second.  I am not saying OCEARCH is outright lying, but at the very least they sure seem fine accepting a data anomaly without any verification.  There is also a history of misreads... like fish showing up on land.  

The chances of this actually happening, the fish traveling distance over time and the speeds necessary to leave those pings are much less likely than the chances of an equipment malfunction.  What is the effective range of the GPS ping, is it 9 feet, 9 miles?  It would make a lot more sense if that fish was on the other side of LI.

Also, don't sleep on the fact that this fish tale was the week before the biggest beach holiday and in the single most expensive zip code in the US.  OCEARCH has already stated that the donations have been pouring in and the increased traffic has been crashing their website.  This was the top story on every news channel in CT and NY last night.  I don't have a high opinion of the work these guys do... they are a non-profit, but they sure seem to be big on ego and fame.  

Makes sense, I was seeing pings that were on land thinking what the hell does that mean. But also they show 3 pings right off of Greenwich, so were there 3 bad pings? Or ya maybe they are just lying. I also wonder why are they not getting pings at regular intervals? it seems kind of random.

Edited by nateD

2 hours ago, thebigangrybear said:

I'm more than a little suspicious when a fishery research vessel has a home port on its transom that is "Park City UT" I don't think there are very many GWs in the Wasatch Mountains!

Edited by MakoMike

Actually, I was just making fun. The owner is trust funder out of Park City and I noticed because my son lives there. I have no reason to suspect his motives.