Wampire

Trying to figure out LBI

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

It's definitely not what it used to be. Had to change game plans. Instead of fishing rocks and structure now you gotta find the cuts and sloughs. Definitely less fish but still fun. In the summer we do well with fluke(90% short) and kingfish. 

If you can cath'em here with regularity....you can catch'em anywhere...............omo.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Seaside Heights is not much different than LBI since the beach replenishment, structure is basically gone no jetties no clam beds no muscle beds, troughs and cuts between sand bars are what 18 miles of LBI has to offer you now. And with every storm and full moon tides it changes. I’ve been fishing LBI for 47 years and trust me it’s no place like it’s been, some of the best local sharpies will tell you the same. Since you live in Lancaster and travel the three hours to come to figure out where to go it will be hard for you to determine where the best place to fish. I assume your only day light fishing also, based on your comment on the  beach buggy paying fishermen, my advice is dump the cart and get a backpack and plug bag and walk the beaches that way you will see the water and find your best  opportunity don’t forget the inlet as there is always fish there. As stated the bay is your friend if you just want to catch fish.

Edited by Old Timer

I love the challenge...had 15 keeper fluke last year in one week on the "Mad Minnow".....fish are there, you need to find'em.

Fully understand- down for the week with family- you only have so much time to put in.  That's why I wouldn't just hit the beach with a bucket of claims and a cart or bring the gear when the family is at the beach. 

Do the homework in advance and you'll need an hour, maybe an hour 30 minutes each night and you will be on to fish each outing. Be open to what shoreline. Don't plant yourself to one location. Take notes and pictures for return visits. Reading the water is key. Dont stick yourself to one style (bait/plug/fly). Talk to people when there. 

Edited by Dave S

Here's a tip....structure can be as big as a jetty or as small as wave created little dished out areas in the sandy bottom just beyond the surf line.....caught many a fluke just laying in these little depressions in the sand waiting for bait to pass by.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

If you can read the water in a stream or river you can read the water in the salt. 

Pretty much same applies. 

I can read surf pretty well - it’s just hard to squeeze in between trucks and outwalk them too. I usually run 2 bunker rods rotations fresh bait every 30 min , hit or not. Off to each side I plug. All of my fish this year came from the plug minus one blue that popped off at the lip... def makes me want to ditch the bait rods and go fully mobile next year. Thanks again for all the good advice!

18 hours ago, Dave S said:

If you can read the water in a stream or river you can read the water in the salt. 

Pretty much same applies. 

Not necessarily.......know guys who can clean out a fly stretch and are lost on the beach...."and that's the way it is"....Larry Potterfield.