Wampire

Trying to figure out LBI

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hi all,

LBI interests me a good bit and I want to explore it more. My first trip of the year coming from Lancaster pa, I tried surf city and was surprised that it was a drive on beach. I’d like to avoid drive ons as I walk/ use a beach cart and it’s hard to get past them if they are every 50 yards as far as I can see. Is any of LBI NOT drive on? 

From the NJBBA page:

BARNEGAT LIGHT:

Dates of operation: 7 days / week from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Off-season weekends only weather permitting.

Permit fee: Free parking for walk on fishing. Fee for lighthouse tour for ages 12 + up $1.

Beach access points: Walk on fishing only. Facilities for handicap anglers.

Parking lots available at: At the foot of the lighthouse.

Special comments: No buggy operation permitted. No swimming. Picnic area along inlet. Nature trail.

LOVELADIES: 609-361-1000

Dates of operation: No buggy access from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Permit fee: Falls under jurisdiction of Long Beach Township.

Permit obtained from: At Township Bldg. 68th and Long Beach Blvd.

Beach access point: Coast Avenue.

Parking lots available at: Street parking available.

HARVEY CEDARS:

Dates of operation: No buggy access from May 15 to October 1st.

Permit fee: $50, limited to 50 total.

Permit obtained from: Police at Township Bldg. 76th and Long Beach Blvd.

Beach Access points: 83rd Street, Middlesex, Bergen and Essex.

Parking lots available at: Limited street parking available.

Special comments: Vehicle inspection required.

SURF CITY:

http://surfcitynj.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Chapter-XlX-Parks-Beaches-and-Recreational-Areas.pdf (code19-2.6page1907)

Dates of operation: No buggy access from fourth Saturday in May to third Saturday in September.

Permit fee: $25

Permit obtained from: Police Headquarters, 813 Long Beach Blvd.

Beach access points: 5th Street, 18th Street.

SHIP BOTTOM:

Dates of operation: No buggy access from third Saturday in May to third Saturday in September.

Permit fee: $25

Permit obtained from: Police Station, 1621 Long Beach Blvd.

Beach access points: Access at 5th Street, 17th Street, 31st Street. websitehttp://www.shipbottom.org/permits.html

LONG BEACH TOWNSHIP:

Website: https://ecode360.com/10302280 Scroll down to Motor Vehicles on Beaches.

Dates of operation: No buggy access from May 15th to September 15th. Correct dates obtained with permits.

Permit fee: $50 Good on all Long Beach Township Beaches. (Brant Beach to Holgate)

Permit obtained from: Police station at 68th Street and Long Beach Island Blvd. 24 hrs. /day, 7 days/week.

Beach access points:

BRANT BEACH – 31st Street, 46th Street, 66th Street.
BEACH HAVEN CREST – 79th Street, 87th Street.
BEACH HAVEN PARK – 106th Street.
BEACH HAVEN – Taylor Avenue, Center Street, Holyoke Avenue.
BEACH HAVEN GARDENS – 34th Street.
NORTH BEACH HAVEN – 15th Street.

HOLGATE – Nelson Avenue, Scott Avenue, Harding Avenue, Washington Avenue.

Special comments: Beach Buggy Hotline (609) 361-1000 ext. 203. Police monitor channel 9. If paying for permit after 4PM on weekdays or on weekends or holidays, you must use an instate check or money order. No cash. Must present vehicle, driver’s license, registration and insurance card. A striper derby is usually held in October and November for a fee of $25.00 which is only good for the derby.

Parking lots available at: Nelson Avenue, McKinley Avenue at the end of the boulevard.

HOLGATE Unit: Edwin Forsythe Wildlife Refuge

Dates of operation: Open September 1 through March 31 or as posted, to vehicles and pedestrians. Federal US Fish & Wildlife (609-652-1665)) is in charge of reopening that area.

Permit fee: $50

Permit obtained from: Police station at 68th Street and Long Beach Island Blvd. 24 hrs. /day, 7 days/week.

Beach access points: McKinley Avenue at end of boulevard

Special Comments: The beach front is open to pedestrians and four-wheel-drive vehicles for such wildlife-oriented activities as wildlife observation, photography, nature study, and fishing. Bayside mudflats may remain closed until later September to protect migrating shorebirds. (Drivers must possess a valid Long Beach Township beach buggy permit for the vehicle they are driving.) It is recommended that vehicles use the intertidal zone when possible. Its harder packed sands provide better traction than the loose sands of the beach. Occasionally some areas of Holgate's beach may not be accessible to vehicles due to ongoing, naturally occurring variations in beach width, or because of excessively high tides. Drivers must use caution, and not enter closed areas. Link to Holgate usage guidelines.

Parking lots available at: McKinley Avenue at the end of the boulevard

Much Thanks for the useful info of the beach driving access.

No thanks to the snarky comments. Yes I’ve had a feeling there is a bay there when I cross it.

personal preference - I love fishing sand. Would much rather work sand than face the bay. When I drive 3 hours I want to see the ocean. Any fish I dig up is icing on the cake. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Used to fish LBI surf, spring and fall.  Had some fav spots near Coast Road all the way down to Holgate and the bottom.  Haven't fished LBI since beach replentishment and them building the dune walls and covering up all the jetties.  LBI is closest to where I live so I would love to start fishing it again but it looks like nothing but a big desert to me with not very good surf fishing.

Edited by Knight771

1 hour ago, Knight771 said:

Used to fish LBI surf, spring and fall.  Had some fav spots near Coast Road all the way down to Holgate and the bottom.  Haven't fished LBI since beach replentishment and them building the dune walls and covering up all the jetties.  LBI is closest to where I live so I would love to start fishing it again but it looks like nothing but a big desert to me with not very good surf fishing.

It's definitely not what it used to be. Had to change game plans. Instead of fishing rocks and structure now you gotta find the cuts and sloughs. Definitely less fish but still fun. In the summer we do well with fluke(90% short) and kingfish. 

Not a snarky comment at all- Just saying that there are opportunities to catch all over that island. And yes, at this time of year the bay is extremely active for a shore bound angler. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Knight771 said:

Your right........IBSP would be a better choice for you....omo.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

7 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Your right........IBSP would be a better choice for you....omo.

Yes, I've fished there a lot more in the past few years even though it is a further drive.  

LBI has become a technically challenging fishing experience due to the corrupt beach replenishment program ......fishing there for the beginner is primarily luck.