The TideRunner

Worm Color

53 posts in this topic

Green pumpkin and pumpkin are my go-to colors. Motor oil doesn't seem to catch as often but seems to catch the bigger ones. The bright neon type colors never seem to work for me. Stained or clear, I seem to always go back to the same two colors. I've tried a ton as well. I don't really love the two-tone ones either.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:35 PM, triumph said:

Yum Dinger Tinfoil was working great for me in the dirty water this spring.

I never had much luck, actually I don't think I've ever had any luck with this color or any variation of it. Oddly when I fish deep  ( 40 ft) and super clear water for small mouth, my go to color is clear, with red and black flake. Yet red appears grey in deep water and is the first color to disappear so to speak in the depths. Yet it has been deadly for me.

I have tinfoil variants, gold foil I guess is another. I thought they'd imitate shiners, but nope.

10 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Green pumpkin and pumpkin are my go-to colors. Motor oil doesn't seem to catch as often but seems to catch the bigger ones. The bright neon type colors never seem to work for me. Stained or clear, I seem to always go back to the same two colors. I've tried a ton as well. I don't really love the two-tone ones either.

The one two tone that has always worked in stained water for me is red shad. Lately it has been the watermelon colors that have worked when fishing was tough.

Never had much luck with the neon colors either. My son swears by black and blue, and I just filled an order for black and blue with a chartreuse tail. Amateur tournament guy.. He insisted on the bright tail. For me, motor oil, Meh. I can take it or leave it. But if I use it  there has to be glitter in it for flash.I'd rather use Berkley Camo.

I toss the ribbontail worms a good bit, as I've used them for bass & Stripers. My best colors have been black, black shad, baby bass, green pumpkin, and pearl. I have a bunch of colors, but use these the most.

I will agree with Jerry Blair about the Zoom Monsters. I have ribbontail worms in lengths from 4" up to the 14" Zoom Monsters. IMO, size is often more important than exact color. 

I used to carry every color under the rainbow. Now, generally speaking, 

I my go to colors (in order) are:

Red Shad/Leach !

Brown Shad ( especially after a good rain)!

Black

Green Pumpkin

Blue Shad

That said, I believe size, and stule has just as much effect as color on many days.  Sometimes a 7 1/2 ribbon tail is the key. other days a 4" ringworm is what's needed.

worms, senko style, I use only a few colors.

Here is something i have found on a particular large lake in NH. Water conditions vary wide, from open rocky bottom lake to shallow weeded and grassy regions and then to mudded silty regions.

The color of the forage is key to dialing in the bait color..to match it. Not 'matching a hatch', rather just the brownish algae covered rocks, or the greenish grassy regions.

Fav colors, pumpkin for open lake and brownish rocks. It blends in perfectly!

Watermelon for greenish grassy regions.

Both types in lemon tails work best under low light, on cloudy days, that chart tail really lights up and brings them in.

Then there is the total bright colors, for when its poor water clarity...and thats it. Otherwise those bright colors don't do any better than stuff that matches surrounds.

For some other lakes, with sandy bottoms, I still match it, with the lighter brown colors, gold flecks.

What is totally obvious, using "off colors" as compared to 'matching colors',  the matched color out performs like 10/1!

Lure action and likely scent is the main attraction for these senko baits.

Color matching makes things look quite real!

my 2 cents