The TideRunner

Worm Color

53 posts in this topic

if it means anything this am plenty of sun & blue skies crazy wind the purple drop shot was not catching but the green /red flake produced LM  5.9 lb & a few smaller green bass also   just a hour squeeze in 

I grew up using a Texas Rig or going weightless when I worm fished and that is boring as f***, pardon my French. So I've made an effort to use Neko rigs when I fish. It's a little more enjoyable, but it's not as fun as working a crank bait or topwater fishing (how God intended us to fish).

I even keep worms and hooks in my tackle box now.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:12 PM, acesover said:

Black/Blue Tail, Watermelon/ Red Flake are the main colors I use down here.

Same for me. Especially the watermelon red. For light colors it's yamamoto 197. Deadly for clearwater smallmouth.

Researched a lot of the favorite colors you all mentioned. Some are dupicate colors or copies I should say of another manufacturers color. Seems everyone that posted to this is in synch. Back to my workbence and make a few worms, and yardwork and family stuff is over today, worm testing is tomorrow.

Motor Oil

Tequila Sunrise

Black / Blue

Purple

and I don't know why but it works when others fail...

Bubble Gum

What has never been a consistent producer is anything with silver "shad" colors, blue/silver shad, red/silver shad, black/silver shad....

When you guys say motor oil, what color is that exactly? It seems so many companies have different colors. Either black with red flake, light brown, or blackish green?

motor oil is a funny color. it's both brown and green, depends on light. Berkley power worm is pretty much spot on with that color. 

The motor oil coloring I use when I make my baits has a sort of iridescence to it. You can see green, browns, gold. Depends on the light. It says right on the bottle of pigment "Motor Oil-Changeable"

I can make my baits as light of a brown color, say tan, to a dark motor oil color. Still brown, not the 10,000 mile oil color. But not matter how light or dark I make it that iridescence is still there. Even more noticeable if I don't use salt in the mix. Add some green glitter and some brown to motor oil and I can nearly duplicate Berkley Power Bait Camo. So far, that's the only color worm I have confidence in.

Was hoping to try some different combos this weekend, but it seems 15mph north winds ended that experiment. Ended up using  5" watermelon red flake Carolina rigged to take fish. Had to get down quick before wind took the line. Slow fishing, water temps down, again. I do want to try that finesse worm on a slider head. I bet that 5 inch finesse worm would make a good Ned rig too. Got to wiggle it, Just a little bit.

i see many pumpkin and watermelon, personally i use white and chart

only these 2 color

tried before watermelon and pumpkin but doesnt work for me, most of my strike are in white

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yum Dinger Tinfoil was working great for me in the dirty water this spring.

Edited by triumph
spelling and punctuation

Deciding what color to use drives me nuts.  I fixed that problem by carrying only black worms.  

- Henry Ford