The TideRunner

Worm Color

53 posts in this topic

On 5/21/2019 at 11:10 AM, Ben Lippen said:

A wise man once said, in answer to your very question, "Any color you like. As long as it's purple."

The names of the colors of worms out there now rivals the names of the colors of wall paint available. 50 shades of any of the basic seven primary colors on the visible spectrum of ROYGBIV ( red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet ). And then some when you add flakes and duo and tri-color worms.

I'm a fan of Culprit products.

I like :

Purple

Red Shad

Tequila Sunrise

Pumpkinseed

And that brown/black one that I cant recall the name.

Had to laugh at this one, because whenever I'm making a luire I always pick my colors using that color spectrum ROYGBIV. I'm glad it's not only me.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:12 PM, Matt7082 said:

But seriously, blk/blue is almost always the first color out of my bag, regardless of conditions.

I make a senko type bait in black and blue, and my son swears by that combo no matter what the water of light conditions are. He's whipped my butt on the water with it more than once

So here is what I've made and what I use.from left to right Baby Bass, Violet with firecracker tail, Junebug, Black with red tail, black with chartreuse tail, and earthworm. Next some nondescript light motor oil color, some left over brown color from another bait, Purple, rootbeer, and oxblood with earthworm tail.

The only colors I have ever bought are Berkleys Camo. I have 4" finesse, 7" ribbon tail, and a 6" zipper type worm. Berkley Red Shadin ribbon tail, and some other color may have been zoom, I think it's called cherry wood.

Interestingly enough I don't have any pure black, or motor oil. I have enough dyes for god knows how many shades of purple. I'll have to put the yardwork aside for a night and pour some worms.

Green pumpkin,motor oil, and look up the coloring on tequila sunrise, and a couple others mentioned here.

Thanks guys!

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

7 hours ago, Hook I said:

Just buy Motor Oil it’s all

you need to start off for LM for SM I mostly Drop Shot purple but can use both depending on presentation tactic . 

I hardly buy worms because I can reproduce just about any commercially available color out there. But If I'm drop shotting, my go to color is a 3" fluke type in baby bass color. Deadly on deep water smallmouth. Last summer my son wanted to try a drop shot with a camo finesse worm, and caught his PB small mouth just farting around.

More than few studies on LMB vision have ben done, notably started by Oklahoma State University about thirty years ago, that found some very interesting results.

40 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

So here is what I've made and what I use.from left to right Baby Bass, Violet with firecracker tail, Junebug, Black with red tail, black with chartreuse tail, and earthworm. Next some nondescript light motor oil color, some left over brown color from another bait, Purple, rootbeer, and oxblood with earthworm tail.

The only colors I have ever bought are Berkleys Camo. I have 4" finesse, 7" ribbon tail, and a 6" zipper type worm. Berkley Red Shadin ribbon tail, and some other color may have been zoom, I think it's called cherry wood.

Interestingly enough I don't have any pure black, or motor oil. I have enough dyes for god knows how many shades of purple. I'll have to put the yardwork aside for a night and pour some worms.

Green pumpkin,motor oil, and look up the coloring on tequila sunrise, and a couple others mentioned here.

Thanks guys!

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Put them all in one bag. Mix them around a bit. Wait a week or two. Seriously.

I prefer 5” finesse worms. I fish these almost exclusively, and have won a few tournaments with them. If you  haven’t tried them, do yourself a favor and buy some. The head doesn’t lend itself well to heavy grass, but really shines on rock or gravel banks, and deeper bluffs and ledges. They just flat out catch.

5” Zoom Finesse worm in Junebug

Slider heads 1/8 or 1/4 oz

708DE517-0BA7-4DD4-9F20-55C332A46D3A.jpeg

C870D75D-F4BF-4A7A-892B-E5868A4F2EF1.jpeg

31 mins ago, hobobob said:

Put them all in one bag. Mix them around a bit. Wait a week or two. Seriously.

Most of these pigments are non bleed. I had a bag of other homemade stuff all mixed colors from about a year ago. A little bit of bleeding but into the worm oil I use, not into each other.

Try ‘em TTR they don’t disappoint! Just drag them real slow. Sometimes, it’s just dead weight when you pick up. They’re deadly.

17 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

Anybody fish Robo worms.

They look like they would be good for finesse techniques.

I like Roboworms Jay, but more for dropshotting. They have a ton of colors.

I just checked them out, they do look interesting.

Reasonable too. I don’t have a finesse mold, so those I’d have to buy. Maybe I need to hit BPS one night