The TideRunner

Worm Color

53 posts in this topic

I've been a bass fisherman for some years now. Even fished competitively for a bit, but I've never been much of a worm fisherman. Probably used every other bait, but hardly used woms even though I've had pretty good success with them. I'd have to say some of my biggest fish came on worms, but for some reason I hardly use them

I was out this Saturday, and it was S-L-O-W, decided it was time to go with worms. I went into my bag of tricks, and had three commercially produced colors. Three different types in Camo alone. Other colors were red shad and a junebug with some reddish highlight.

And a zillion ribbontail worms that I had made myself with leftover plastic from my own pours. Somme downright ugly.. I will add, I produce most of my own baits, custom colors for the areas I fish. I have worm molds, but hardly make them. Like I said most of what I have made is from leftover plastic from other baits I've made like senko types, or lizards.

Which leads me to, what colors do I use, what do you recommend? For me, the sky is the limit with color as I have about 30 or so different colorings that can be blended to make even more colors. and endless glitter. But if you had to choose 5 colors as your go to baits, what would you use? I need to get my arsenal up.

Depends a lot on water clarity /color:

Green pumpkin

Watermelon

Black

Purple

A maybe some two tones/flecks

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't really enjoy worm fishing, but it works. As one of our lunch buddies used to say "A plastic worm will accidentally catch more fish than any lure in your tackle box."

When I use worms:

Green Pumpkin

Watermelon

Black/Purple

You can fish those colors almost every time. I do like flakes; I think a little flash always helps. 

Edited by mwhitt80

A wise man once said, in answer to your very question, "Any color you like. As long as it's purple."

The names of the colors of worms out there now rivals the names of the colors of wall paint available. 50 shades of any of the basic seven primary colors on the visible spectrum of ROYGBIV ( red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet ). And then some when you add flakes and duo and tri-color worms.

I'm a fan of Culprit products.

I like :

Purple

Red Shad

Tequila Sunrise

Pumpkinseed

And that brown/black one that I cant recall the name.

Culprit makes a great purple color.

A different wise man once gave me the exact same advice when I asked about worm color.

Edited by mwhitt80

Black/blue ftw...

But seriously, blk/blue is almost always the first color out of my bag, regardless of conditions. If there is relatively good visibility, I like some sort of green, with a tad bit of chartreuse in it. And sometimes pb&j. When the water is dirty, I stick to blk/blu, straight black, junebug, and sometimes the PB&j again. I prefer to keep things as simple as I can. If I can only have two bags of worms, I'll take blk/blue, and green pumpkin.

9 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

When I use worms:

Green Pumpkin

Watermelon

Black/Purple

You can fish those colors almost every time. I do like flakes; I think a little flash always helps. 

This^^ All the colors you need..

Bama Bug Yum Dinger has proved to me for season after season to be my favorite color

It ALWAYS produces for me in all water clarity. Close second is Yamamoto Amber with purple flake. If I could only use two colors ever again it would be those two.

You guys have covered all the best choices.

The only two I would add is two tone red shad and possibly a black monster worm.  For some reason those two seem to work when other colors don't.

Edited by Jay Blair

Just buy Motor Oil it’s all

you need to start off for LM for SM I mostly Drop Shot purple but can use both depending on presentation tactic . 

I like purple and black worms, but I am not sure there is a real difference between Purple or any dark brownish or black worm. I'm not sure if there is enough variation in color to matter.

It's just a theory, I don't fish worms enough to tell. A man told me a get a bag of purple/black worms and they work really well. 

Edited by mwhitt80

4 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

I like purple and black worms, but I am not sure there is a real difference between Purple or any dark brownish or black worm. I'm not sure if there is enough variation in color to matter.

It's just a theory, I don't fish worms enough to tell. A man told me a get a bag of purple/black worms and they work really well. 

Motor oil has all of that