FishermanTim

flooded rivers in your area?

24 posts in this topic

I fished a section of the Charles River in Dedham on Saturday. Was planning on heading up river towards Needham but couldn't even get through the first bridge.

The current was so strong it took all I had just to stay at the opening of the bridge. Couldn't make any headway so I dropped back, turned around and headed down river towards Millennium Park in W Roxbury.

Luckily the fish were a little cooperative, with bass, pickerel, crappie and perch making their presence known.

The pickerel were most abundant, probably because the bass were getting into spawn & pre-spawn mode. (the bass I caught were in shallow pockets inside weed beds)  The weather was great, the fish were biting and even the wildlife was active. All in all a great day on the water...

On 5/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, 55555s said:

pompton, pequanack, ramapo, paassaic, whippany, rockaway, goffle, saddle... all up.  

Its getting annoying.

x2

April was brutal here in Maryland.  But the bigger rivers are starting to return to normal.  The Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna has just gone back to generators only, no flood gates.  The Potomac is still running a little above normal but the water has cleared enough for the last of the American shad to make a showing about a week or two ago, nice ones too, so I heard. The bigtime farmers are finally getting their fields planted and hay mowed and baled.… better late than never.  Weather can turn on a dime though... we shall see what the next few months will bring.

pompton, pequanack, ramapo, paassaic, whippany, rockaway, goffle, saddle... all up.  

Its getting annoying.

Flood watches out again!

... had to cancel another game this evening.  Postponed a trout release slated for tomorrow.  This weather is nuts.  

One thing that's going to eventually piss me off is that when we have flooding springs like this year what tends to happen is the weeds get a growth spurt, probably from any nutrients that get churned up with the strong currents.

Luckily I have options for situations like this that only requires a different tactic (lure).

Here in the northeast I only have a short period during the spring where I can use most of my sub-surface lures.

Because of the weeds, all diving lures, spinners, crank baits and even buzz-baits become totally useless due to the weed growth we have here. My game plan is usually to target open pockets amongst the weeds. 

Its getting annoying.

There is (was) a gorgeous trout stream running through my property. Over the years I caught native brookies, browns, bluegills and largemouths no more than 100 yards from the house. The massive rains from last year and now this year have scoured the stream into a lifeless storm drain. No more crayfish, hellgramites, dace, brookies, browns, bluegills, nothing. No one is going to feel sorry for me, however, it is lamentable to see the destruction of what was once a vibrant ecosystem.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, HardyG said:

There is (was) a gorgeous trout stream running through my property. Over the years I caught native brookies, browns, bluegills and largemouths no more than 100 yards from the house. The massive rains from last year and now this year have scoured the stream into a lifeless storm drain. No more crayfish, hellgramites, dace, brookies, browns, bluegills, nothing. No one is going to feel sorry for me, however, it is lamentable to see the destruction of what was once a vibrant ecosystem.

It may take some time, but the stream should return to a some-what normal/natural state when the waters calm down. Like many moving waterways, the aquatic life tends to move (of get pushed) down with the current, and tends to move back up as the current subsides. It may take awhile, but it usually does happen.

Hopefully it won't take long and that they DO return!

On 6/2/2019 at 11:36 AM, HardyG said:

...No one is going to feel sorry for me,...

I certainly won't :p as all "river guys" know that things change, always.

Some times it takes a frigging decade to see a state you have in the past; I know I've experienced that before.

On 6/4/2019 at 0:49 PM, FishermanTim said:

It may take some time, but the stream should return to a some-what normal/natural state when the waters calm down. Like many moving waterways, the aquatic life tends to move (of get pushed) down with the current, and tends to move back up as the current subsides. It may take awhile, but it usually does happen.

Hopefully it won't take long and that they DO return!

I had taken photos of the stream during its heyday and have noticed something. There used to be aquatic grass growing in some of the slower-moving sections and I saw none last year and none this year. Next, despite the previously-mentioned scouring, the rocks are covered with a strange brown algae that was not there in years past. The stream originates 1/4 mile away from the outflow of a pond that lies smack dab in the middle of a dairy farm. I ain't no marine biologist but cow cr@p and fertilizer may have something to do with the algae bloom. The algae of the past was standard green, not this strange, stringy brown stuff. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Didymo but damn, I saw that stuff in the Big D and the stuff in this stream looks pretty similar. 

22 hours ago, HardyG said:

I had taken photos of the stream during its heyday and have noticed something. There used to be aquatic grass growing in some of the slower-moving sections and I saw none last year and none this year. Next, despite the previously-mentioned scouring, the rocks are covered with a strange brown algae that was not there in years past. The stream originates 1/4 mile away from the outflow of a pond that lies smack dab in the middle of a dairy farm. I ain't no marine biologist but cow cr@p and fertilizer may have something to do with the algae bloom. The algae of the past was standard green, not this strange, stringy brown stuff. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Didymo but damn, I saw that stuff in the Big D and the stuff in this stream looks pretty similar. 

Isn't Didymo also called "rock snot" because of it's appearance when covering rocks?

What I find odd, but also commonplace in some of the waters I fish are the large spherical algae colonies.

The look like a cross between a giant egg mass and a coral reef. They tend to be prevalent in slower moving waters. They are called "Bryozoan blobs".

Its getting annoying.

And still up.

22 hours ago, HardyG said:

I believe I know the brook your speaking of, I haven't been there in some years though. It would totally suck if didymo has made an appearance there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

BUN OF A SUCKING FITCH

Despite not having had any ran in a few days, just now the creek suddenly rose and is nasty brown whereas it was crystal clear yesterday afternoon. The diary farmer died about six months ago, the family sold off the cows and I'm betting that they just broke the dam. The amount of sediment coming through is disgusting. I'm not one to do things like this, but wouldn't the family need some kind of permit to do this? Who would investigate, DEP, EPA, ???? The stream is classified as C1 TP, meaning, "highest water clarity, Trout Producing".  I am royally p!$$ed.

Edited by HardyG