Favorite pike flies?

Rate this topic

bigredgolf

After having landed my first pike yesterday, I am interested in delving into flies a bit. What are your favorite pike flies? And what are, in your opinion, the best flies for a beginner fly tyer for pike?

Every day above ground and on the water is a great one

Flies like a dahlberg diver are effective and fun. The trouble with a lot of flies that are good for this kind of fishing is that they are not generally easy to cast for a beginning fly fisherman. Bunny flies look great in the water but they will carry water weight making them a little harder to cast.

Pike are a large freshwater predator the will eat anything around them. 

Little fish, frogs, mice. 

Agreed on the big flies.  You did not mention if you are fishing in a river or still water.  If in a river then long cast probably are not required and the fly size becomes less of an issue.  I don't have a favorite but I went out with a guide last year and we threw flies that were about 7" long and articulated.  Seemed like the size and placement was more important than the actual pattern. Accuracy was necessary but I never had to cast more than 30' or so.  I used a 8' 10wt.  Perfect tool for the job. Had a blast landing about 6 and loosing a few others.

My favorite pike fly by far is the Flashiceiver. Easy to tie too!  Instead of the feathers (in a Deceiver) you tie in REGULAR (NOT the wide "saltwater" stuff) pearl flashabou. Tie in a very modest clump of bucktail down in the back before you lay the flash onto it.   If you want to put a little flash on the flanks do so. Clump of bucktail on top and bottom in front and that's it!

Tie in a weighted eye or use the fly without. Tie eye in on BEND and hook point side! NOT like a Clouser! Better action! I like the fly 9 or 10 inches long. It casts incredibly!

This is AN EXCEPTIONAL fly for many species of fish. Awesome for pike. It's also perhaps my favorite "search fly" for Northeast saltwater. The fly IS THAT GOOD!

Casts so well its stupid! If you don't put too much material in, the fly collapses when wet to an extremely thin shape. All you need is a 3/0 or 2/0 saltwater hook in there. I used to call it the "easy casting big fly" and would do casting demonstrations with a 10 inch Flashiceiver. I'd first dunk the fly in a glass of water, then take an outfit with a 4 weight floating line, and cast that fly the entire length of the fly line! I'd hear gasps from the audience! It was the FLY and how EASY it was to throw!

On 5/20/2019 at 9:28 PM, No Bull S said:

My favorite pike fly by far is the Flashiceiver. Easy to tie too!  Instead of the feathers (in a Deceiver) you tie in REGULAR (NOT the wide "saltwater" stuff) pearl flashabou. Tie in a very modest clump of bucktail down in the back before you lay the flash onto it.   If you want to put a little flash on the flanks do so. Clump of bucktail on top and bottom in front and that's it!

Tie in a weighted eye or use the fly without. Tie eye in on BEND and hook point side! NOT like a Clouser! Better action! I like the fly 9 or 10 inches long. It casts incredibly!

This is AN EXCEPTIONAL fly for many species of fish. Awesome for pike. It's also perhaps my favorite "search fly" for Northeast saltwater. The fly IS THAT GOOD!

Casts so well its stupid! If you don't put too much material in, the fly collapses when wet to an extremely thin shape. All you need is a 3/0 or 2/0 saltwater hook in there. I used to call it the "easy casting big fly" and would do casting demonstrations with a 10 inch Flashiceiver. I'd first dunk the fly in a glass of water, then take an outfit with a 4 weight floating line, and cast that fly the entire length of the fly line! I'd hear gasps from the audience! It was the FLY and how EASY it was to throw!

Mark - do you taper the flashabou on the tail?  Maybe it doesn't matter, but curious how you do it.

This was my most productive pike fly.  I landed quite a few pike on it over the years I went to a lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake in Northern Ontario.  Nothing large mostly fish between 20 and 28 inches.  It's a variation on Bob Pop's Semper Fleye.  It's about 7 inches long.

P3270172.JPG

Jabster, those are REALLY beautiful flies! Man, will they take pike! The bottom fly of those three is essentially an elaborate Flashiceiver (or looks very much like it, but more aesthetic) and the orange one above is even more elaborate. Those flies will take many species of fish in salt and freshwater! Those bottom two will also be incredible squid flies for stripers as is the Flashiceiver!

1 hour ago, No Bull S said:

Jabster, those are REALLY beautiful flies! Man, will they take pike! The bottom fly of those three is essentially an elaborate Flashiceiver (or looks very much like it, but more aesthetic) and the orange one above is even more elaborate. Those flies will take many species of fish in salt and freshwater! Those bottom two will also be incredible squid flies for stripers as is the Flashiceiver!

Thank you Mark. Flash flies are stable patterns over here in scandinavia for pike. The ones I make have a hollow fly/deceiver base with generous amounts of flash mixed in. The bottom one uses a hollow tied Bob Pop bulkhead head that's especially effective if you need to move the fly super slow in cold water. Works on a fast strip to, but is spot on if you just have to hang the fly in front of the fish.