Bogey

What makes a surf rod a surf rod

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

For instance Avid 8 ft Surf and Inshore rods have virtually the same specs, VIS80Hf and AVSS80MMF are both listed as fast throwing 3/4 to 3 oz. why is one a surf rod and one an inshore rod, is it the longer handle on the surf model or what. I know you can't rely on mfg specs.

16 mins ago, Bogey said:

For instance Avid 8 ft Surf and Inshore rods have virtually the same specs, VIS80Hf and AVSS80MMF are both listed as fast throwing 3/4 to 3 oz. why is one a surf rod and one an inshore rod, is it the longer handle on the surf model or what. I know you can't rely on mfg specs.

Surf rod's typically have a longer distance from the reel seat to the butt of the rod.  An inshore rod with have a similar set up to your normal bass rod. 

Any rod can be called a "surf rod" if you actually fish it in the surf. Marketing seems to dictate what folks regularly call it. I fish any rod that is useful in any scenario, fresh water in surf is not at all a deterrent for me. Don't get too caught up in labels.

Surf rods typically are longer (to keep your line above the surf,) they feature longer butts (to gain better leverage,) and also larger guides (to accommodate bigger surf sized spools.) All of those things (and much more) can be present on a surf rod... or not.

If marketing a sponge bob rod combo as a surf rod sells more rods, manufacturers will undoubtedly do just that. In the same way, I wouldn't call a 15' 3 piece South Bend WalMart special a surf rod, but that is exactly what its called. 

When standing in the Surf without the long butt of the rod your reel would find it's way in the water more often. Most "Surf" rods have extended butts specifically for this like Ba Ba previously said.  So the question is. Are you going to be fishing "IN" the surf or from shore? That answer will usually help you choose the rod for how you fish. 

13 hours ago, Bogey said:

Just to confuse you and end up by two rods from them, more profit lol........

For me, a good surf rod range from 10ft to 13ft.  Depend what species you go for.

1. Buy a rod

2. Go down to the beach and wait for waves

3. Grab a rod, step in to the waves and wave rod 3 times in circles above you head as fast as you can

Now, you have a surf rod.

:howdy: :howdy::howdy:

From what I'm seeing It's just a description.

The rods can be used interchangeably.

The Tennis court looks smaller when you play on it.