Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I’ve been looking for Fishing with the Bucktail by Capt John Demaio for a long time - not a collector myself so can’t justify the price but also can’t understand how there hasn’t been a reprint.

Also if you enjoyed bait tail fishing (as suggested on another thread) there’s a great chapter on Al Reinfelder in Profiles in saltwater angling by George Reiger.  Still gets me excited to fish local spots around the city.

John was actually a good friend of mine, met him through some other friends and my father. I actually have a couple  copies of the book. PM me 

I've been collecting some books myself. I've been looking for a book that goes into migration and habits of all the baitfish and crustaceans in New England. I watched a video on YouTube of Billy the Greek talking about some obscure crab hatch that happens every year in New York that gets the stripers up on the beach lip. I believe he said it happens once a year on the full month of a certain month. Would be interesting to know some of the less common bait that might influence the bite. Overall I think the more you know about the bait around the better your odds of hooking up. 

Would love the same but haven't found many fishing oriented books.  closest I've found are marine bio texts.  If you dig you can alao find a lot of that info in academic papers and environmental impact reports.  Up and down the east coast I've learned a lot about bait and ecology/habitats through a google scholar deep dive and dredging and infrastructure environmental reports.  Every few years a new bait shows up - had a bass cough up the first butterfish I've seen last week. 

On 5/20/2019 at 2:09 PM, Broncomike said:

What would you say is a fair price for the original 1920 book?

I paid $120. for a first edition (mint) about 22 years ago. Found it in an antiquarian book store in of all places, Rochester NY. Also have 3 copies including a first edition hardback of 'Reading the Water'. If you enjoy reading stories about colorful surfmen and their adventures in the golden era of surf fishing, then find this book - a great read. 

Edited by fish643