Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone, I have a pretty extensive book collection when it comes to fishing books, (how to, stories, guides, basically everything. But I’m always looking to add more to the collection. Anyone have any recommendations. Rare books or discontinued ones. If there still in print I most likely have it, but I’d still like to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks! 

19 mins ago, Broncomike said:

Good morning everyone, I have a pretty extensive book collection when it comes to fishing books, (how to, stories, guides, basically everything. But I’m always looking to add more to the collection. Anyone have any recommendations. Rare books or discontinued ones. If there still in print I most likely have it, but I’d still like to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks! 

Bait tail Fishing by Al Reinfelder and Thru the Fishes Eye by Mark Sosin are two of the best "technical" application books I ever read.

When I was a young kid, my uncle had (still has) a book called "The Lore of Sportfishing". I grew up in the 90's with my face glued to that book whenever I was visiting his home, and I read every page and looked at every picture of every fish. To say that it influenced the mania I have for fishing is an understatement, and consider it a "must" for fishing books.

Otherwise, there is a book called "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky. It was published in 1997 and is a great book on the history of cod fishing.

20 mins ago, SC said:

Bait tail Fishing by Al Reinfelder and Thru the Fishes Eye by Mark Sosin are two of the best "technical" application books I ever read.

I have bait tail fishing. That book is a great book to learn from! I’m going to look for through the fishes eye. Thank you very much for the suggestion!!

21 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

When I was a young kid, my uncle had (still has) a book called "The Lore of Sportfishing". I grew up in the 90's with my face glued to that book whenever I was visiting his home, and I read every page and looked at every picture of every fish. To say that it influenced the mania I have for fishing is an understatement, and consider it a "must" for fishing books.

Otherwise, there is a book called "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky. It was published in 1997 and is a great book on the history of cod fishing.

I have the lore of sport fishing. Very informative book. I’ll look at the book “cod” thank you very much for the suggestions!!!

6 mins ago, pioneeratsea said:

All of FranK Daignault's books on surf fishing are very good.

Yes they are. I’ll put up my list of books I have by him

Posted (edited) · Report post

The call of the surf by heilmerc and stock. Maybe the oldest book about surfcasting written.  written in 1920.  very rare to find a 1st edition.

Edited by PaulS

2 mins ago, PaulS said:

The call of the surf by heilmerc and stock. Maybe the oldest book about surfcasting written.  written in 1920.

Wow thank you very much. I’ve never heard of it. Have you read it? What did you think?

1 min ago, Broncomike said:

Wow thank you very much. I’ve never heard of it. Have you read it? What did you think?

Author is Van Campen Heilner, great book, nice prints inside

Just now, SC said:

Author is Van Campen Heilner, great book, nice prints inside

I’m looking for it now. I see all the reprints. I would like to get an original copy for my collection. 

yes, nice illustrations.  Good reading about the jersey coast.  I've only read mine 2x as I don't I want to open and close it a lot.  I believe that I posted pictures of the illustrations here a few years ago.

2 mins ago, PaulS said:

yes, nice illustrations.  Good reading about the jersey coast.  I've only read mine 2x as I don't I want to open and close it a lot.  I believe that I posted pictures of the illustrations here a few years ago.

Where were you able to find this book? I can’t find it anywhere of even information about the original. 

I bought it off of 1 of the on line sites.  Maybe Abebooks?  I think there are recent reprints floating around now.

6 mins ago, PaulS said:

I bought it off of 1 of the on line sites.  Maybe Abebooks?  I think there are recent reprints floating around now.

Yea I see all the reprints. But for my collection I would like to have an original!