dwyak

Unprepared Yakker

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

While fishing for sea bass up near Phinney's, one of the yakkers comes up to me and tells me a guy is flipped a short distance away.  I run over and sure enough this poor fella is in a tough spot.  I get him hauled into the boat along with his kayak, get him back to our places to get him warmed up.  Turns out this was his first day fishing, first day kayaking and I'd guess first time swimming in 50 degree water.  Thank God he at least had his vest on.  Anyone over there today knows it was pretty sporty out there when the wind kicked up and no place for a first timer.  Could have been bad, but turned out ok.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There were a bunch out there and half of them I saw were not wearing vests. Thank god he had a vest on it saved his life most likely. Some of those guys are so careless. I mean it should be common sense to wear a lifejacket especially on a kayak. Well done on the rescue and god bless you with many seabass to come

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Good for you with the rescue. I was out there with my brother on kayaks taking some unnecessary risks. Saw the forecast and said “hey we can stay close and find some sheltered water” not much of that around today. 

We had vests and wetsuits on with the vhf at the ready but even still it was a bit hairy. I am an inexperienced kayaker but know you should be prepared for a swim even on the calm days. Glad he had good help

10 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

There were a bunch out there and half of them I saw were not wearing vests. Thank god he had a vest on it saved his life most likely. Some of those guys are so careless. I mean it should be common sense to wear a lifejacket especially on a kayak. Well done on the rescue and god bless you with many seabass to come

Crazy :dismay:

It looked like a kayak orgy in that spot on Saturday morning.  There had to be 50+ yaks piled up on top of each other, is that where they breed?

sam

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, sams said:

It looked like a kayak orgy in that spot on Saturday morning.  There had to be 50+ yaks piled up on top of each other, is that where they breed?

sam

I think it is they reproduce rapidly. The kayakers I mean

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I think it is they reproduce rapidly. The kayakers I mean

I'm pretty sure they just watch On The water TV.  My family has a place within sight of that spot.  I've never seen an 1/8th that many yaks in that spot.  last year OTW did a yak show at that spot and this year 50+ yaks on opening morning.  Not to mention they are in the middle of a channel that sees pretty high traffic.

sam

Thank you for being there and helping out.  You saved that guy's life.  

I was out there Sat morning and even with prepared gear and being right in the middle of the pack,  I felt a bit uneasy with the wind and current running through.  Crossed my mind a few times just to turn back and call it a day.  Not sure what that guy was thinking but he's lucky you were there.

And in a SIK, not very smart for a first timer. I was out in CT on Sunday and it was a bit sporty but for sure manageable if you are used to it.

SIK. Sit In Kayak.

Why on earth does that make it worse? I would think the Sit ON kayaks are far greater issues for stability..your wight is higher above the waterline.

But of those designs I see many are like barges, flat wide bottoms.

The yak in picture is practically a toy for size from what I see. It looks like 7 feet max, hardly a sea worthy craft.

I have several yaks, and two canoes. Each has their own safety features..and drawbacks.

My Wilderness Systems 12 ft Pungo is the most stable, nearly impossible to roll.

I do see the guy leashed his paddle....critical detail!