SeaZen 21

What’s up with monel wire line!!?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have 2 wire line rods. At the end of last season, while letting out a bunker spoon the line just separated. No snap, not under any major strain, just paying out the line. That time, I was lucky. I had my hand on the line and was able to save the spoon. 

I didnt have have a problem with the other setup last season.  Today I’m out, and the other reel’s line just separates. I lost 2 spoons today. While trying to retie, the line just separates in my hands. 

Is this his typical of monel? Did I get a bad batch? I can’t imagine that to be the case since it was different spools on each reel. 

I was soooo pissed!!

Be careful of kinks no matter how minor. Also it's easy to create a flaw in wire under wrap on a wound tight spool. I've used monel frequently and never had this problem- but am very careful avoiding nicks and not smooth winding on spool and letting out line. Also I use all smooth rolling  roller guides for trolling and roller tip guides with and carboloy guides - with frequent checks for minor nicks by running pieces of "ladies nylon stockings" through guides.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Peter D said:

Be careful of kinks no matter how minor. Also it's easy to create a flaw in wire under wrap on a wound tight spool. I've used monel frequently and never had this problem- but am very careful avoiding nicks and not smooth winding on spool and letting out line. Also I use all smooth rolling  roller guides for trolling and roller tip guides with and carboloy guides - with frequent checks for minor nicks by running pieces of "ladies nylon stockings" through guides.

So what do you do if you detect a kink or nick? Cut off that entire section? I haven’t kept extra wire on the boat to add extra line for that kind of situation. 

Any experience with leadcore? I hear it’s easier to work with, but does it get down in as predictable a way as wire?

Edited by SeaZen 21
Misspelling

If you get a kink you can cut it and splice. However, splicing smooth is not a trivial matter. I would just replace the line. Perform a google search for more info and how to attach monel to swivels, etc and avoid a thumb cutting end.

Lead core is much easier to deal with but does not sink as fast. Again, check a knot search on Google, etc for "knotting" lead core. I use lead core for slow currents (off beaches at night)  but always use wire for jigging and in rips. I've caught many large bass in rips of Cuttyhunk/MV mouth of the Merrimac (Plum Island), and off beaches and never lost a fish because of wire line or lead corer breaks. I do check my lines often and am not timid to replace them.

Again, with monel practice retrieving on a spool until you get thumb control and tension so as to accomplish a smooth non overlapping retrieve, esp. if you fish at night. I learned much night fishing with the late Capt. Bob Smith at Cuttyhunk re rigging wire and lead core  - and who was not easy on fishermen who lost fish. 

Good luck.

I've never used wire line, but have used lead core for fresh water trolling for 20 years. It is very easy to work with, and does sink very predictably, although as I understand it, not as fast as wire. You still want to be careful watching for kinks, as they can produce weak spots, but the benefit is it has virtually no memory, so it's not trying to coil itself.

1 hour ago, tyme2par4 said:

I've never used wire line, but have used lead core for fresh water trolling for 20 years. It is very easy to work with, and does sink very predictably, although as I understand it, not as fast as wire. You still want to be careful watching for kinks, as they can produce weak spots, but the benefit is it has virtually no memory, so it's not trying to coil itself.

What is the sink rate of lead core

thanks

14 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

What is the sink rate of lead core

thanks

I think it depends on the lb-test rating, but it should say right on the package, or in a small instruction card

Sure its monel and not stainless?

Monel is much more forgiving to kinks than stainless.  I have lost rigs and spoons due to stainless kinks; I don't think I've had that issue at all with monel.

3 hours ago, makorider said:

Sure its monel and not stainless?

Monel is much more forgiving to kinks than stainless.  I have lost rigs and spoons due to stainless kinks; I don't think I've had that issue at all with monel.

I’ll double check, but I’m pretty sure it’s Tony Maja monel. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, SeaZen 21 said:

I have 2 wire line rods. At the end of last season, while letting out a bunker spoon the line just separated. No snap, not under any major strain, just paying out the line. That time, I was lucky. I had my hand on the line and was able to save the spoon. 

I didnt have have a problem with the other setup last season.  Today I’m out, and the other reel’s line just separates. I lost 2 spoons today. While trying to retie, the line just separates in my hands. 

Is this his typical of monel? Did I get a bad batch? I can’t imagine that to be the case since it was different spools on each reel. 

I was soooo pissed!!

are you talking about a separation between the monel and the (in our case) dacron backing - or the monel itself broke ?

i have had the monel come apart from the dacron as we only ever trolled with monel and we were always taught to let ALL the wire out til you got to the backing.

anyway, in 40+ years of occaisional wire line / monel trolling - other than getting hung up on something - i can’t remember ever experiencing a break in the wire - and some of the less “shared” set ups had wire that’d probably be 10 years old by the time it was replaced.

lead core is great for certain applications but in general isn’t going to get you down like wire.

biggest problem for me with monel is trolling in general (personally hate it) - that and inexperienced people backlashing the crap out of it when they go to let it out.

Edited by nicknotsebastian

The wire itself just broke. I call it separating because it didn’t feel like a break. When a line breaks, it’s usually under some sort of load and the load releases. 

Here, the line literally just parted in two. It even happened with the reel in free spool as I was pulling out line to retie. 

A guy at the tackle shop I use said that you only lose 3 feet depth per 300 feet of leadcore compared with wire. So, while for every 300 feet of wire you get to 30 feet down, you get 27 feet down for 30 feet of lead core. 

Does that sound about right?

monel just broke... are you stopping and working the line “on” the monel ? aka, its not all out in the water and you are workong the line “on” backing ?

i find lead core (at least trolling for bass) gets down maybe 2/3 of wire.  to be skipping bottom at 30’ (river fox jig) - 100 yds of monel... probably 150 of lead core same # test.

Edited by nicknotsebastian

So I had an “aha” moment. I remember when I got the reels filled with line, I wanted to test the accuracy of my line counter. I wasn’t sure if wire line would measure differently than mono or braid. So in one of my more genius moments, I laid out a decent section of the wire, measured it out, and retrieved it back in. Only problem was, I did that with a good portion of the line dragging along the driveway.

I think that was the moment that I f@&$’d myself. That probably created multiple nicks in the line. I make myself proud sometimes.