coastalfreak

Cocoa Beach Fishing

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm leaving the state of Georgia and heading down to Cocoa for a family reunion in mid-late July. 

Of course, when I am not visiting with the folks, I'll be fishing ;) 

Now I'm a multi-species guy, so I'll be doing primarilly two types of fishing. 

-Fishing with bait for whatever bites (No giants necessary)

-Throwing lures for some better fish like mackerels, trout, bluefish, reds, etc.

Any tips? I'll be bringing my Nasci 3000/H2O express Angler 7' Med. and my Battle 2 6000 Combo. 

I’m a bit South of Cocoa, not too far. Spanish Mackerel are in and out now, blues always, the little barracuda called sennet. These all go for fast and shiny, a 2oz spoon. Topwater works very well also, but sharks will go for these also. There are Snook in the trough, catch these with a bucktail, but plugs work and spoons also. 

I dont bait & wait so cant comment there.

weather is fantastic now, have fun!

3 hours ago, icarussound said:

I’m a bit South of Cocoa, not too far. Spanish Mackerel are in and out now, blues always, the little barracuda called sennet. These all go for fast and shiny, a 2oz spoon. Topwater works very well also, but sharks will go for these also. There are Snook in the trough, catch these with a bucktail, but plugs work and spoons also. 

I dont bait & wait so cant comment there.

weather is fantastic now, have fun!

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely be picking up some spoons. 

Where do i start.... first off it's going to be HOT as crap when you are down here.... so early morning/late afternoon and even at nite will be better for you... Cocoa is  crazy during that month...everybody is on the beach, heck they are packed right now.... and as far as lures go try to bring something to cover all zones (Top,middle,bottom)... one lure that has work for me in the surf is the rapala Xrap Ghost... also match the lures to your setup...now as far as bait goes... you can buy some dead shrimp, cut into small pieces, use a double hook setup (small hook) and try to catch any of our bait fish... use that on you 6000 setup with a  simple fishfinder rig and try to use the baitfish live... get yourself a sand spike (cheap pvc pipe cut to size will work just fine) cast that out there then go back to lure fishing with your 3000 setup.... you can also fish the cocoa beach pier... or run down to Jetty park and fish there.... don't forget you also have inter coastal waterway to fish.. if the beaches get too back.. here's another tip, if you have Google earth... check out the area that you will be staying at, then look for areas that might interest you...that way you will have a starting point..

Snooks will be in the surf just like everything else... but the season will be closed on them...  another things about lures... keep it simple and don't over think it...One lure can do alot of things, so don't drive yourself crazy by changing lures so much... stick to a handful of lure, and work them... look up bait shops in the area you will be in and go talk to them.... they are all pretty good at helping folks...oh almost forgot as far as the surf goes... don't worry about casting so far out with your lures, the snooks will be almost at your feet...What i do at times is carry a small backpack with a handful of stuff, and just walk the beach ...early morning are great for this...keep us updated, be safe and have fun....:rav:

That is funny, I'll be going from Cocoa Beach to Georgia in mid July for a family reunion. We'll pass on I-95.

July can be a very good month for surf fishing. I prefer south of Cocoa Beach where there is more of a trough in the surf. (CB has a really 'flat' low impact beach)

Here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Find some large live bait (mullet, croaker, pigfish, pinfish). I'm talking as big as your hand. Freeline in the trough right at your feet. Daylight/Dusk. You can catch real big tarpon, snook, reds and sharks this way.

2. Walk around casting like everyone else is talking about, you'll see action where the bait is.

It sound easy, but really it isnt....here's the problem with freelining live large bait> first you have to catch them, then you have to have a way to keep them alive and transport them... then the larger the bait you have the larger the setup you will also need (rod/reel)...and that's not throwing in your bag with rigs/water and everything else you will need... then comes the real fun part... getting it pass that trough and getting the bait to stay there long enough for something to hit it....and thats if you place it in the right spot....be ready to reel in your line because your bait isnt stupid and he will swim back in as fast as chit LOL....oh and then there are the beach goers out there... There is nothing easy about it... well unless you are setup for it.... have a beach cart/know the tides and have areas all dial in where you know you won't get beat on by bathers in your way...and as far as catching big tarpons/snooks/reds and sharks....well all i can say if it was that easy... nobody would need fishing forums/guides and everybody with a rod and reel could do it...just saying....like i said before if you only have a short time down here and don't have all the gear you need to catch all those monster gamefish, keep it simple... handful of lures/ 7ft rod with a 3000 size reel. a backpack with a few goodies and go walk the beach and enjoy.... and again i live to fish with Large live bait and do 90% of freelining .... but it isnt easy and i have yet to find that magical beach where all those gamefish roam at the same time.... but hey what the hell do i know:howdy:

7 hours ago, Drako said:

It sound easy, but really it isnt....here's the problem with freelining live large bait> first you have to catch them, then you have to have a way to keep them alive and transport them... then the larger the bait you have the larger the setup you will also need (rod/reel)...and that's not throwing in your bag with rigs/water and everything else you will need... then comes the real fun part... getting it pass that trough and getting the bait to stay there long enough for something to hit it....and thats if you place it in the right spot....be ready to reel in your line because your bait isnt stupid and he will swim back in as fast as chit LOL....oh and then there are the beach goers out there... There is nothing easy about it... well unless you are setup for it.... have a beach cart/know the tides and have areas all dial in where you know you won't get beat on by bathers in your way...and as far as catching big tarpons/snooks/reds and sharks....well all i can say if it was that easy... nobody would need fishing forums/guides and everybody with a rod and reel could do it...just saying....like i said before if you only have a short time down here and don't have all the gear you need to catch all those monster gamefish, keep it simple... handful of lures/ 7ft rod with a 3000 size reel. a backpack with a few goodies and go walk the beach and enjoy.... and again i live to fish with Large live bait and do 90% of freelining .... but it isnt easy and i have yet to find that magical beach where all those gamefish roam at the same time.... but hey what the hell do i know:howdy:

What's the best tides to fish?

I prefer the front side of high tides, but as long as its moving i''m fine with that... Most of us fish when we can, and at times tide charts dont seem to match with what's really out there.... So i fish whatever i'm given... always go with more then one plan...that way if something fall thru you at least you don't have to go home...I use to be that person that would only fish one type of tide.... but over the yrs i have learn to fish everything... can't catch fish if you offering isnt in the water:howdy:   

Yes. Here I fish every day 3-6 hours at a time. I’ll do 3 hours before or after high tide at the beach, take the kayak out in the lagoon if it’s close to low tide. Calm seas and west winds I’ll kayak the ocean. If it’s sometime other than these I’ll hit the surf anyway if I have time, you never can tell what might happen & ive caught some real surprises when it looked distinctly unfishy! Best times for me are always first light or sunset no matter what the tide.