coastalfreak

Favorite Spanish Mackerel Lures?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I've decided that I want to start targeting Spanish Mackerel and the like. Here's my current setup:

- Penn Battle 2 6000

- Battle 2 9' Medium Rod

- Trilene Smooth Casting 20 Ib (Not really been a huge fan of braid)

Maybe heavy for the job, but its what I got. 

What lures would y'all use with this setup?

gotcha plug is the standard.  u may try a trolling sinker followed by a clark spoon.    they can b picky about the size too.  reel fast..... gotcha plugs u jerk jig and will see the action.  go to a pier.....  spoons....

I like Breakday Jig & Cast (local made here in NC ), Glass Minnow Lure by Shore Lure Co. (also local made), and Stingsilvers, by Haw River Tackle.

For your set-ups, probably the 2 oz. size. Tie directly to your line, or maybe add a short section (2-3 ft.) of fluorocarbon leader. NO snaps or swivels. Spanish are very finicky, and hardware shy.

It helps if you see breaking fish, but cast as far as you can, and retrieve very fast almost skipping your jig on the surface or just below.

Good Luck and catch em up.

A 6000 reel seems like a little Overkill. Catching Spanish often requires lots of casts. I like a gotcha , kastmaster or a clarkespoon.

10 hours ago, bronson said:

gotcha plug is the standard.  u may try a trolling sinker followed by a clark spoon.    they can b picky about the size too.  reel fast..... gotcha plugs u jerk jig and will see the action.  go to a pier.....  spoons....

7 or 8” rod. Med , light rod./ Gotcha

Alright, so I have a Nasci 3000. I have 10 Ib braid on it, but I plan on taking it off for some 8-10 pound mono. I have a 7 foot rod, but I was looking at a Ugly Stik GX2 9' Medium for kind of a light tackle jetty/surf rod.  

13 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I've decided that I want to start targeting Spanish Mackerel and the like. Here's my current setup:

- Penn Battle 2 6000

- Battle 2 9' Medium Rod

- Trilene Smooth Casting 20 Ib (Not really been a huge fan of braid)

Maybe heavy for the job, but its what I got. 

What lures would y'all use with this setup?

Scale down your set up.  4000 series reel would be much better suited for the job.  The battle 2 rod is also overkill and very heavy. 

4000 series reel - light weight 8' surf rod - 20lb braid - 20/30lb leader. 

I had a few great days of catching smaller ones off the beach in Gulf Shores, AL using a brown over white clouser minnow w/a bit of flash as a teaser 12-18" above a spoon or deadly dick.  Most fish took the fly but some took the spoon.  Braid helped get the lure out far enough though. 

Gottcha plugs, silver spoons, anything with a silver blade. Like @Bogey said shiny and fast, you can't reel too fast for Spanish. 

If you are trolling use a basic silver and white duster from bomber and a cigar minnow. You need to troll just a little slower than you would for Kings. Once you get a strike on a duster, kick the boat out of gear; there is a good chance one of the other dusters will get a fish as soon as the duster drops in the water column.

I use don't like using line leader for king or Spanish; they will cut off your lure in a heartbeat. I like a brown wire leader (20-30lbs) attached to mono mainline either by a small swivel (barrel if casting or ball bearing if trolling) or Albright knot. You attach your lure, duster, or bait rig to the wire with a haywire twist.

If you are planning on keeping the Spanish, be sure it is not a baby king mackerel. They look very similar and you don't want to get checked and have a cooler full of undersized Kings by mistake

Interesting! Thanks for the feedback yall. Planning on picking up some Kastmasters and the like soon. I plan on the surf and the jetties, because I can't bring my kayak down :(