Birdsnester

Braid vs Mono, I know I know, a million times ad nauseam.

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Here is my dilemma...  I love braid....  The bite detection is second to none.  The diameter allows lots of line to be spooled...  You guys all know this.  What makes me nuts is after I catch a large fish, the next cast is doomsday for certain.  And the thing is, I know exactly why!  It's difficult to make certain that the spool is wound really tight while fighting a fish, so naturally the braid digs in and the next cast is disaster.  I get it, I totally get it...  But I love braid.  And so it goes.  

 

This is my setup.

1.  Anyfish Anywhere 6 and bait 13'

2.  Seigler SM

3.  Braid, take your pick.  I've tried everything.

 

Casting style, if that matters, OTG, Brighton or overhead thump.

 

Breaking up is hard to do....?

 

I love braid but braid does not love me.  I cast her gently, I cast her hard, I nurture her with conditioners and lubricants and just when I think she is content, BAM....

I only introduce another once in a while, hook line and sinker?  Yeah but it's not like it's all the time.. We are just friends, I swear, just friends....  A woman scorned.  Vengeance is real...    

Next cast.... SNAP.  Every time...  

 

Ok, sillyness aside.  What should I do?  Switch to Mono, switch setups, find another hobby, WHAT?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

Here is my dilemma...  I love braid....  The bite detection is second to none.  The diameter allows lots of line to be spooled...  You guys all know this.  What makes me nuts is after I catch a large fish, the next cast is doomsday for certain.  And the thing is, I know exactly why!  It's difficult to make certain that the spool is wound really tight while fighting a fish, so naturally the braid digs in and the next cast is disaster.  I get it, I totally get it...  But I love braid.  And so it goes.  

 

This is my setup.

1.  Anyfish Anywhere 6 and bait 13'

2.  Seigler SM

3.  Braid, take your pick.  I've tried everything.

 

Casting style, if that matters, OTG, Brighton or overhead thump.

 

Breaking up is hard to do....?

 

I love braid but braid does not love me.  I cast her gently, I cast her hard, I nurture her with conditioners and lubricants and just when I think she is content, BAM....

I only introduce another once in a while, hook line and sinker?  Yeah but it's not like it's all the time.. We are just friends, I swear, just friends....  A woman scorned.  Vengeance is real...    

Next cast.... SNAP.  Every time...  

 

Ok, sillyness aside.  What should I do?  Switch to Mono, switch setups, find another hobby, WHAT?????

I’ve tried braid a couple times on my conventional bait rods and I always go back.. I use saltiest and Newell w static mags. I see no advantages to braid. You don’t get better distance. Harder to hold bottom in current with heavy braid . Harder to cast w more problems  not friendly to raking across sandbars. There is a good reason drum guys still use mono cause it works better!!! Pro spec / suffix tritanium. Now for throwing bucktails /swimmers  i like braid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like braid for fluke and black fishing. But for anything else. Ie surfcasting, Bucktailing, eeling basically anything else im all about mono.  If you wanted to stick with braid I would definitely get a reel with magnetic cast control. I’ve always been a fan of the avets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen... I was you! Was. ... I suffered your misery for a long time. Verbatim. Braid to mono to braid to mono to braid to mono... over and over... back and forth... seriously. More times than I will type. Here are a few things: Yes, if you are gonna use conventional for 6nbait or 8nbait, and use mono, I will say Suffix tritanium is the way to go from the surf. I like it in 25lb but lots of guys probably go smaller. In the end however, I settled on braid, figured it all out, and love my setup. 

 

#1 - If you are gonna use braid, which I would, the most important thing is size. Do not go small. Having a snap mid cast during max pressure, or having a snap while the line is flying out and hits a guide or a stuck part in the spool from being buried... that is all much more likely with small stuff. The smallest you should ever go is 65lb... but I use 80lb and would say 80lb is perfect, it's the way to go. It is so hard to explain this in words, but the thicker braid, it's just easier to work with all the way around. Eventhough you dont actually need 80lb for anything, it's just easy to work with, no digging, no wind knots, no breaks.... 

 

#2 - Some braid types just suck. Some are prone to digging. In my mind there are really two types. Original PowerPro (not the new ones, no super slick, etc.) and Sufix832. Of the 2 of them, I would give the nod to Sufix832 but I fish 2 conventionals and have each type in use. It. Does. Matter.

 

#3 - Do this anyways, but especially if you are getting breaks during a cast... add a mono top shot (or whatever people decide they want to call it). The way to think about it is the braid is for sensitivity / feeling bites (why I dont stay with mono btw), it's for no stretch hook sets (another reason I try to love braid over mono), and it's for flying off the reel during mid flight... braid is NOT what you want trying to pull a fish on the beach in waves (stretch helps here) and you dont want it contacting your rods and guides when making a cast under maximum pressure (stretch helps here). You are putting a ton of pressure on that rod and guides when you launch 8 and a head and have that rod bent over during the launch. Make the braid have no part in this. Tie an FG knot to mono, make sure you get the knot wrapped around the spool like 5 to 10 times and you are set. Whatever that is, 20, 25ft of mono maybe?

 

Just some other things to throw out there. INSPECT THE **** out of your guide rings, especially the top one. The TINIEST spider crack will turn 100lb braid into dust during a cast or hook set. After catching a fish, gently toss out the weight, with half the strength of a normal cast, with no bait... and reel it back on nice and uniform.

 

Just an FYI... I use a 12/13ft (I forget) St Croix Mojo rated for up to 16oz. The reel is a Penn Fathom 25N. Not that either of those matter. I launch the **** out of 8 and a head, or 10 and a head. I have not broken my line since fishing with this setup. Not once. Here is what does matter: 80lb Sufix832, FG knot (its streamlined, wont break, wont hit guides), 60lb mono (not leader material, just keep a spool of Ande or Big Game around to waste on this part), reel on enough mono so that it wraps the spool 5 to 10 times and you still have room to cast, cut it off, slider, swivel, short (actual leader material) of 80 or 100lb mono (or whatever you use) snelled to a hook. Done. I have a video if you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

I’ve tried braid a couple times on my conventional bait rods and I always go back.. I use saltiest and Newell w static mags. I see no advantages to braid. You don’t get better distance. Harder to hold bottom in current with heavy braid . Harder to cast w more problems  not friendly to raking across sandbars. There is a good reason drum guys still use mono cause it works better!!! Pro spec / suffix tritanium. Now for throwing bucktails /swimmers  i like braid. 

Thanks for the reply.  I just spoiled my SM with Black g Game,  I’ll see how it goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Thanks for the reply.  I just spoiled my SM with Black g Game,  I’ll see how it goes

 

43 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Thanks for the reply.  I just spoiled my SM with Black g Game,  I’ll see how it goes

Big game is great as well. Also Berkley XT is very strong but thick  for lb rating . Those monos are less likely to kink imo . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Broncomike said:

I like braid for fluke and black fishing. But for anything else. Ie surfcasting, Bucktailing, eeling basically anything else im all about mono.  If you wanted to stick with braid I would definitely get a reel with magnetic cast control. I’ve always been a fan of the avets.

I use a Seigler SM with is Star Drag Mag. It’s not really a backlash that’s the problem. The line digs in on itself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I use a Seigler SM with is Star Drag Mag. It’s not really a backlash that’s the problem. The line digs in on itself

Try switching to a low gear reel. You will get a more even retrieve. You’ll only have to throw lightly a few times after if you hook up to a big fish. But it will definitely help you

Edited by Broncomike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FishinDVM said:

Listen... I was you! Was. ... I suffered your misery for a long time. Verbatim. Braid to mono to braid to mono to braid to mono... over and over... back and forth... seriously. More times than I will type. Here are a few things: Yes, if you are gonna use conventional for 6nbait or 8nbait, and use mono, I will say Suffix tritanium is the way to go from the surf. I like it in 25lb but lots of guys probably go smaller. In the end however, I settled on braid, figured it all out, and love my setup. 

 

#1 - If you are gonna use braid, which I would, the most important thing is size. Do not go small. Having a snap mid cast during max pressure, or having a snap while the line is flying out and hits a guide or a stuck part in the spool from being buried... that is all much more likely with small stuff. The smallest you should ever go is 65lb... but I use 80lb and would say 80lb is perfect, it's the way to go. It is so hard to explain this in words, but the thicker braid, it's just easier to work with all the way around. Eventhough you dont actually need 80lb for anything, it's just easy to work with, no digging, no wind knots, no breaks.... 

 

#2 - Some braid types just suck. Some are prone to digging. In my mind there are really two types. Original PowerPro (not the new ones, no super slick, etc.) and Sufix832. Of the 2 of them, I would give the nod to Sufix832 but I fish 2 conventionals and have each type in use. It. Does. Matter.

 

#3 - Do this anyways, but especially if you are getting breaks during a cast... add a mono top shot (or whatever people decide they want to call it). The way to think about it is the braid is for sensitivity / feeling bites (why I dont stay with mono btw), it's for no stretch hook sets (another reason I try to love braid over mono), and it's for flying off the reel during mid flight... braid is NOT what you want trying to pull a fish on the beach in waves (stretch helps here) and you dont want it contacting your rods and guides when making a cast under maximum pressure (stretch helps here). You are putting a ton of pressure on that rod and guides when you launch 8 and a head and have that rod bent over during the launch. Make the braid have no part in this. Tie an FG knot to mono, make sure you get the knot wrapped around the spool like 5 to 10 times and you are set. Whatever that is, 20, 25ft of mono maybe?

 

Just some other things to throw out there. INSPECT THE **** out of your guide rings, especially the top one. The TINIEST spider crack will turn 100lb braid into dust during a cast or hook set. After catching a fish, gently toss out the weight, with half the strength of a normal cast, with no bait... and reel it back on nice and uniform.

 

Just an FYI... I use a 12/13ft (I forget) St Croix Mojo rated for up to 16oz. The reel is a Penn Fathom 25N. Not that either of those matter. I launch the **** out of 8 and a head, or 10 and a head. I have not broken my line since fishing with this setup. Not once. Here is what does matter: 80lb Sufix832, FG knot (its streamlined, wont break, wont hit guides), 60lb mono (not leader material, just keep a spool of Ande or Big Game around to waste on this part), reel on enough mono so that it wraps the spool 5 to 10 times and you still have room to cast, cut it off, slider, swivel, short (actual leader material) of 80 or 100lb mono (or whatever you use) snelled to a hook. Done. I have a video if you want. 

Wow you put a ton of thought into this. I will give your ideas a whirl.  It makes a lot of sense.  Thanks very much for such a detailed reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally if your fishing conventional I would stick with the mono. Use the braid for spinning outfits. Mono has come a long way in just the last 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.