Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riptide

5/19 Busy bass morning. (REPORT)

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Today Junior and his Southcoast crew came to the Cape.  

The day started putting local knowledge to the test and changing launch locations to avoid the impending wind.

The audible worked perfectly and in just minutes we were on the fish like past few days.  

The guys had nonstop action for close to 4 hours.   Then the wind ramped even more, the clouds came and the fish vanished.   

With the best of the morning under our belt we beat the weather back to the ramp and called it a morning.

The guys threw Hogy Lures epoxy jigs in black / silver exclusively.  The Raymarine radar continues to make it an unfair game in our favor.  

Overall a great 1/2 day morning with a very skilled crew.

20190519_085727-01.jpeg

20190519_071241-01.jpeg

20190519_073718-01.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance - are you guys retrieving the epoxy jigs fast in the top of the water column or jigging them lower? 

Appreciate your posts.

Posted (edited) · Report post

We fish them different ways based on conditions. That is one of reasons I like the epoxy jigs so much is they are versatile.  

As of late the bait has been VERY small and fairly slow moving.   So the hot ticket for us has been to cast under birds or to the rolling fish.  Let the lure settle for 5 to 10 seconds, then start a fairly slow retrieve with alot of very brief pauses.   

Done right my sports say they can feel the slow."wobble" of the small jig as it swims.   The pause causes a flutter as it sinks slowly and most hits occur then.  

When the action is hot and heavy i prefer a high rod tip and a retrieve fast enough the lure skips like a spook.  Makes.for great surface strikes.  But that hasn't been anywhere near as effective lately.   

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Riptide