Joe G

Offensive shark related items pulled

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I suspect the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce was a driving force behind this one.....and summer hasn't even started.    :dismay:

 

The Cape Cod Times reported that the Christmas Tree Shops have pulled "offensive" shark related merchandise from stores on Cape Cod after residents complained that the products were distasteful.

 

In particular, the CCT reported that some shoppers believed the items, which included a kitchen towel featuring an image of a great white shark and the words, "Nice to Eat You",  mock shark attacks.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Joe G said:

I suspect the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce was a driving force behind this one.....and summer hasn't even started.    :dismay:

 

The Cape Cod Times reported that the Christmas Tree Shops have pulled "offensive" shark related merchandise from stores on Cape Cod after residents complained that the products were distasteful.

 

In particular, the CCT reported that some shoppers believed the items, which included a kitchen towel featuring an image of a great white shark and the words, "Nice to Eat You",  mock shark attacks.

 

 

 

 

Yet more evidence that in today's society we need to be sheltered and protected from everything. Including ourselves. :dismay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Joe G said:

I suspect the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce was a driving force behind this one.....and summer hasn't even started.    :dismay:

 

The Cape Cod Times reported that the Christmas Tree Shops have pulled "offensive" shark related merchandise from stores on Cape Cod after residents complained that the products were distasteful.

 

In particular, the CCT reported that some shoppers believed the items, which included a kitchen towel featuring an image of a great white shark and the words, "Nice to Eat You",  mock shark attacks.

 

 

 

 

WITF has this country turned into. Some of the most deplorable people I have ever met inhabit that town. I have always enjoyed my time spent on the Cape and met some really good people, but there are so many self serving hypocrites that have turned the place into a yuppie cesspool. My town has turned into the same culture it's hard to listen to and worst to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t understand why these types of complaints are given any attention. The response should be “Ok, fragile douche. Don’t buy them.” Problem is, it’s too late. We’ve created a monster appeasing these pathetic people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, bob_G said:

So based on this, are we to assume preseason reservation rates are down?

Not sure on rates, Bob, but I'm darn sure on one thing.......the GW sharks are winning the battle for the hearts and minds of humans.   :dismay:

 

Here is another case in point....on May 14, Chatham rejected a warrant article proposing to spend $100K to build a shark barrier.  Care to speculate where the barrier would be built?  Well…..it would be built in Oyster Pond to protect an area locally known as Children's Beach.

 

Think about that for a moment.......voters accepted that a GW might work its way in from Nantucket Sound to Oyster Pond and attack youngsters bathing at Children's Beach, but rejected any remedy to protect said children by building a shark barrier.  What is this society coming to.   :banghd:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, Joe G said:

Not sure on rates, Bob, but I'm darn sure on one thing.......the GW sharks are winning the battle for the hearts and minds of humans.   :dismay:

 

Here is another case in point....on May 14, Chatham rejected a warrant article proposing to spend $100K to build a shark barrier.  Care to speculate where the barrier would be built?  Well…..it would be built in Oyster Pond to protect an area locally known as Children's Beach.

 

Think about that for a moment.......voters accepted that a GW might work its way in from Nantucket Sound to Oyster Pond and attack youngsters bathing at Children's Beach, but rejected any remedy to protect said children by building a shark barrier.  What is this society coming to.   :banghd:

 

A couple more shark attacks and that will change........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

I just don’t understand why these types of complaints are given any attention. The response should be “Ok, fragile douche. Don’t buy them.” Problem is, it’s too late. We’ve created a monster appeasing these pathetic people. 

They’re given attention because of the power of social media. All it takes is some idiot to post one of these towels on FB or Twitter and talk about how the store is mocking the death of a shark attack victim on the cape - if that goes viral, the damage could be way worse than the cost of ditching the merchandise. It’s all financial and unfortunately the people that pay the price are the normal people in society.

 

Its sad, really. A very small percentage of people take offense, but because they post so much crap to social media, it’s like they have a dominant voice. Really absurd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is this a case of:

1. GWs are programed to be mean and bad.

Or

2. GWs are big, hungry eating machine and don't discriminate so long as it fills their belly.

Or

3. Some people are just dumb, ignore sound advice and get what they deserve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, bob_G said:

So, is this a case of:

1. GWs are programed to be mean and bad.

Or

2. GWs are big, hungry eating machine and don't discriminate so long as it fills their belly.

Or

3. Some people are just dumb, ignore sound advice and get what they deserve.

4 all of the above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Not sure on rates, Bob, but I'm darn sure on one thing.......the GW sharks are winning the battle for the hearts and minds of humans.   :dismay:

 

Here is another case in point....on May 14, Chatham rejected a warrant article proposing to spend $100K to build a shark barrier.  Care to speculate where the barrier would be built?  Well…..it would be built in Oyster Pond to protect an area locally known as Children's Beach.

 

Think about that for a moment.......voters accepted that a GW might work its way in from Nantucket Sound to Oyster Pond and attack youngsters bathing at Children's Beach, but rejected any remedy to protect said children by building a shark barrier.  What is this society coming to.   :banghd:

 

 

Having lived there for over 10 yrears, IMO ,and a majority of town meeting, it's highly unlikely that a GW will ever get into Oyster Pond.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chris koltz said:

WITF has this country turned into. Some of the most deplorable people I have ever met inhabit that town. I have always enjoyed my time spent on the Cape and met some really good people, but there are so many self serving hypocrites that have turned the place into a yuppie cesspool. My town has turned into the same culture it's hard to listen to and worst to watch.

I guess if you don't like it here, just stay away. I doubt you will be missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.