Automatic fly reels

Rate this topic

fishfinder401

So, I picked up 2 old automatic fly reels at a yardsale today, one pemcoand one shakespere model ft automatic, along with a 7ft 5wt shakespere wonderod.

I ended up spending the second half of my day fishing on my kayak, and figured why not take the Shakespeare along with me... after that I may have to start using more automatic reels, it was just such an awesome experience! 

So, what's everyone else's opinion on automatic reels, and are there many modern options?

If you like them and having fun with them that's what really counts.Just fishing with the Wonder rod is a blast in itself.Had wonder rod for years and it was lots of fun.Keep the automatics away from the salt.

2 hours ago, theshadow said:

If you like them and having fun with them that's what really counts.Just fishing with the Wonder rod is a blast in itself.Had wonder rod for years and it was lots of fun.Keep the automatics away from the salt.

Oh yeah those things will never see the salt Haha, havent actually tried fly fishing the salt yet, but may this year with a graphite reel I got on amazon...  15$ and surprisingly nice(for the price)

10 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

Oh yeah those things will never see the salt Haha, havent actually tried fly fishing the salt yet, but may this year with a graphite reel I got on amazon...  15$ and surprisingly nice(for the price)

At $15 remember to remove the spool and wash out the reel and spool gently.Put a "drop" of reel oil into the release on the spool and on the shaft.It will last quite awhile.OR it will freeze up very quickly.I have old pflueger reels over 30 yrs old used in the salt and still work well.Just more maint.

Forty years ago they were what all the old timers used to fish threaded minnows for trout here in PA. Fly rod, automatic fly reel loaded with fly line or dacron braided line, mono leader, couple split shot and the minnow.

I have a couple somewhere, haven't used them in years. Never used them for fly fishing, big disadvantage is their weight.  

29 mins ago, ByronPA said:

Forty years ago they were what all the old timers used to fish threaded minnows for trout here in PA. Fly rod, automatic fly reel loaded with fly line or dacron braided line, mono leader, couple split shot and the minnow.

I have a couple somewhere, haven't used them in years. Never used them for fly fishing, big disadvantage is their weight.  

Yeah they are heavy, but to be honest, I haven't minded the extra weight kind of feels nice... i mean for a super light weight setup it wouldn't make sense, but for a 4 or 5wt and up, why not lol.

I got one, the only one I have ever used, as part of the rod, reel, line, leaders, flies, flybox and casting instruction booklet for $20.....total.....60 years ago.

Never met one that had a decent drag that would stand up to a serious fish.  But then, who, getting a beginners outfit and in fresh water, is going to catch a fish that actually takes drag, on day one?  On the other hand, they were, in my mind, designed for people dapping with the fly rod, with mono as often as actual fly line, and everyone I ever knew who used one complained that the spring rewind was INsufficient to actually drag a fish in!!

The "point" of the automatic feature was to quickly gobble up slack line.  Not to be a power winch.  UNfortunately the slack tends to come in unruly with tangles, not cleanly, so there are often tangles when stripping it out

The maximum usefullness for me was when fishing from shore on a lake or a stream, moving along the shoreline.  Strip out line, cast once or twice, ZIP up the slack so it wouldn't catch on grass/rocks/stickers/poison oak, walk and stalk, strip out fly line, cast once or twice, ZIP up the slack so it wouldn't catch....and so forth.  For THAT it was great.

But take solace.  The GOOD news is that, with an automatic reel on your rod, you will never be mistaken for a serious fly fisherman of any substance......and you will be free to enjoy yourself to your limits, with absolutely NO external expectations.  Nirvana!

Edited by Peter Patricelli