SkunkLuvver

Interesting bear encounter

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Not fishing related but thought some of you might appreciate this..

The other night around 9:00 I let my dog out for a last pee and go to my car to grab something when she starts barking. She’s a little dog (21lbs) so barking is her super power and nothing out of the ordinary so I shut my car door and start walking around it to yell at her. I was suddenly confused because I didn’t hear anything but somehow there was a large shadow in front of me. My first thought (it was very dark) was that my neighbors black lab was paying me a visit so I lean forward and say “hey buddy” but those words weren’t even out of my mouth when I saw the large brown snout. I instantly yell “bear! Hey bear! Bear! bear!” as I wheel around and run around the car the other way.

i don’t know which direction it went but it was gone when I got to the other side of the car. The dog was untouched but was back on the porch trying to push the door open to go back inside, lol.

What I gather happened is the bear (a very large one) made his way into my yard, my dog chased after it and it ran around my car to escape when it encountered me and skidded to a stop (thank god). Being that reecie is a little dog it chose to turn and run toward her instead of running me over and sprinted back down the driveway. 

I came back out with a flashlight and tape measure and could clearly see the skid mark where she put on the brakes and the circles my feet left when I spun around to run away... they were 34 inches away from each other.

It took a solid hour before my knees stopped shaking and they still get a jelly feeling when I think about it.

i live in Greenfield in a neighborhood surrounded by other neighborhoods so a bear was the last critter I expected to bump into in the yard. I’ve had lots of “close” bear encounters over the years but nothing remotely like that.

It was terrifying and could have ended badly if my dog were bigger/ more aggressive / or if it were a female with cubs. Thankfully none of those were the case!

Based on the size I’m thinking it was a large male and the fact that it was so early in the night that it’s residing in a nearby patch of woods making a living off bird feeders and compost piles. 

I wonder how many times he’s come through my yard without me knowing? :confused:

I love bears and am pretty comfortable encountering them but that was waaaay too close.

Cool, and thanks for posting. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but with a lifetime in the woods, I've never seen a bear.

10 hours ago, bob_G said:

Cool, and thanks for posting. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but with a lifetime in the woods, I've never seen a bear.

You might never have seen a bear after a lifetime in the woods, but you can be sure they've seen you.

A buddy had a similar encounter with a bear and his dog. The bear had cubs and was chasing him down. He grabbed his dog by the scruff of the neck while sprinting to his house. He could hear the bear's jaws clacking behind him and smell the bear's breath. He just made it into the house in time. He had to change his shorts, literally. 

I live in Shutesbury, lots of woods and have peach and apple trees in my back yard. I hung a bell by my back door and ring it to scoot away critters - deer, bear and twice a moose - before taking my dog out. One of the bears is named peaches and she is a regular visitor in the fall. So far they all move to the woods at a good clip when they know I’m coming out. 

Thing that makes my knees knock and heart thump is hearing the deer run when I go to my truck in the morning. Still haven’t become used to it. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Skunkluvver, from that description, are you sure it wasn't b-ware?

It was pretty dark so that and the fact I’ve never met b-ware makes it hard to say..... I’ll give it a solid maybe though.  :th:

32 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

It was pretty dark so that and the fact I’ve never met b-ware makes it hard to say..... I’ll give it a solid maybe though.  :th:

Hi...………….

DSC_0508.JPG